• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Autonomous (thermocouple) cyl-head temp system for air-cooled engine?

towbar

Occupation
retired
I'm looking for one or more thermocouple (washer or probe type) cyl-head temp sensor/indicator gizmos for a Deutz 912. The probe removed has a bayonet connector-catching contact so it's pbably a thermal resitor.

DSC_0012.JPG

What I'm after is one that requires no electricity, with 3-5 feet of wire plus a gauge, all of it with a solid garantee from brand-name maker.

Delmer

I found a murphy gauge that fit, or wasn't hard to adapt, can't remember exactly. You have six cylinder heads, dual gauges seems like a reasonable backup if you can't find a Deutz branded sensor.

towbar

Occupation
retired
I have an unused one from them still in the box, made for water-cooled diesels I think. Many of the ones they make don't come with the type of gauge I want: 3" round with bold needle(s) and lables. There are tons of relatively cheap thermocouple probes around but you have to attach them to a mickey-mouse digital gauge, another definite no-no. Firing an email off to Murphy might be an idea I'll follow up on later today. There are also some capillary types, never used one of these before but my confidence is really highest in thermocouple washers, the wires never leak, they're easy toi coil if too long, no other source of power required, etc.

Delmer

You're right, the murphy was for a deutz, definitely different than water cooled. It has a high temp shut off switch, but it's only 2" and no bold needles or clear labels. The back up was a cheapo thermocouple, but it's not digital, similar 2" dial gauge.

towbar

Occupation
retired
We both have the wires crosed today :)

What I remembered as a wrong gauge for a water cooled engine is exactly what you cited:

Has the switch too, but it's pretty hard to read unless it's on the panel in front of your nose. I should have a reply from Enovation (makers of Murphy) next week but expect no major revelations.

towbar

Occupation
retired
How do you set the horn switch? I don't wanna force it and break it, there's two external studs on the front glass.

towbar

Occupation
retired