• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back to the jcb 506b

Cat416!

Making progress. But ran into more problems.
The tach isn't working. It was before I started this project. The only electrical things I touched was removing the starter and alternator. How does this thing read rpm?

2nd problem is, the hour meter keeps counting hours with the key off. Thinking the key switch must be bad?

skata

Tach works off the alternator. It's one of the little wires going to it, if i remember right.
Not sure about hour meter. Maybe if you connected the tach wire incorrectly, it has something to do with it.

Cat416!

Tach works off the alternator. It's one of the little wires going to it, if i remember right.
Not sure about hour meter. Maybe if you connected the tach wire incorrectly, it has something to do with it.

Ok so the tach does work off the alternator. Perfect. That helps. I followed the wire from the hour meter, it actually goes back to the alternator. Where it plugs into the alternator, I would guess that terminal is only supposed to have power when the alternator is spinning. Well, this has power all the time. That's why the hour meter keeps running.
There is only other wire back there that I saw. I will check that one out closer.
This thing has been apart so long, it's hard to put it all back together

skata

Ok so the tach does work off the alternator. Perfect. That helps. I followed the wire from the hour meter, it actually goes back to the alternator. Where it plugs into the alternator, I would guess that terminal is only supposed to have power when the alternator is spinning. Well, this has power all the time. That's why the hour meter keeps running.
There is only other wire back there that I saw. I will check that one out closer.
This thing has been apart so long, it's hard to put it all back together
Is there another terminal on the alternator? Maybe it's on the wrong one. Can't remember. It's been a while.

Cat416!

Is there another terminal on the alternator? Maybe it's on the wrong one. Can't remember. It's been a while.

Finally got it solved. The rectifier in the alternator was bad. And a plug on the dash was dirty. Both the tach and hour meter work normal again