• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back Up Cameras

IceHole

Anything decent that isn't $500+? Thinking about one for my big dump truck.

And before I get "HEY BOYYYY, REAL MEN USE MIRRORS AND CAN BACKUP 6 TRAILERS AT 60MPH UPHILL IN A BLIZZARD"

good for you.

I have a cheapo on a small dumptruck and it's slightly better than nothing. Terrible delay between picture and real world and it about 1980s video recorder clarity, if that.

Bought one for the skid steer, back up ~300ft a shot to blow my dooryard and it's hard to do it at night. But haven't installed it. Also got some LEDs.

Less worried about light on the truck, mostly summer hauling so nearly 24hr light.

doug dirt

Anything decent that isn't $500+? Thinking about one for my big dump truck.

And before I get "HEY BOYYYY, REAL MEN USE MIRRORS AND CAN BACKUP 6 TRAILERS AT 60MPH UPHILL IN A BLIZZARD"

good for you.

I have a cheapo on a small dumptruck and it's slightly better than nothing. Terrible delay between picture and real world and it about 1980s video recorder clarity, if that.

Bought one for the skid steer, back up ~300ft a shot to blow my dooryard and it's hard to do it at night. But haven't installed it. Also got some LEDs.

Less worried about light on the truck, mostly summer hauling so nearly 24hr light.
I was thinking about getting one.
Haven't decided on which one yet.
My friend got one because he was directed by a worker into another vehicle.
He was watching the worker in his mirror and they kept on waiving him back into the other vehicle.
Some jobs will not allow you to back up on the job without a spotter.
This could be way to not need to wait for a spotter?

skyking1

Per OSHA you still need a spotter, but I would argue with them about it. The Ford has a high radio mount up by the windshield and headliner.
I cut into it and made a double DIN Android reciever fit in there, and hooked a camera to it.
head unit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VTYKPL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Little $20 camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CB82Z1FY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It works just fine. The main thing was the wide angle.
you have to remember to wipe it off at the start of the day, or it takes a while to cook the dew off it.
It's fun to hitch the trailer, especially at an off angle. Witnesses will say "wow you are really good at that".
Sometimes you tell them about the camera ;)

IceHole

I was thinking about getting one.
Haven't decided on which one yet.
My friend got one because he was directed by a worker into another vehicle.
He was watching the worker in his mirror and they kept on waiving him back into the other vehicle.
Some jobs will not allow you to back up on the job without a spotter.
This could be way to not need to wait for a spotter?
I had someone do that too!

I'm thinking it seems really close, but they're standing right there waving me back.

Then bump and spotter all clueless.... "you just backed into my truck!"

Uh, no, YOU spotted me into the truck you idiot!

IceHole

Per OSHA you still need a spotter, but I would argue with them about it. The Ford has a high radio mount up by the windshield and headliner.
I cut into it and made a double DIN Android reciever fit in there, and hooked a camera to it.
head unit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VTYKPL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Little $20 camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CB82Z1FY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It works just fine. The main thing was the wide angle.
you have to remember to wipe it off at the start of the day, or it takes a while to cook the dew off it.
It's fun to hitch the trailer, especially at an off angle. Witnesses will say "wow you are really good at that".
Sometimes you tell them about the camera ;)
Don't have radios in my trucks or place for them. Or desire for them...don't use the ones in the trucks that have them.

IceHole

Osha... spotter?

I'd never get work done if that was true. Nor would most drivers.

cfherrman

There are cheap dash cams on eBay that have a forward facing and rear facing and a big screen. I think under $200.

If you break the cheap can you can probably replace it for $20

skyking1

You asked her something decent that wasn't 500 plus dollars. You can add up my solution that came up to less than 400.

cfherrman

Android radio with a backup camera works extremely well within a few seconds, I put Android radios in all my vehicles and I want to find a dash cam solution that works with the radio as well instead of having to buy the standalone monitor kit

Android radios are down to like 150 now

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I just purchased this camera last month. 1080p 170 degree w night vision from Amazon ($39) and a monitor 11.6" 1080P monitor ($80) to replace the fuzzy excuse for a backup camera in my Barko. They will both work on 12v systems. I have not made time to install it yet but I did make the ram ball mount for the monitor. I tried it out in the shop and it was remarkably clear & bright, even in low light. I will replace others with these if they work out good enough.

My eyes are really beginning to hate those 5"-7" monitors with 640 graphics. Technology has improved and I deserve something better that has good definition. This is a very reasonable price for better tech.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I installed a Ecco Review camera kit on my Kenworth T800. The install was tricky. I mounted the one camera up pretty high on the rear gate, and welded on a dirt shield above. I used some heavy duty hosing and hosing protector to protect the cable from where it comes out from the dump bed, and goes into the rear gate. The monitor is mounted down from the cab roof by the CB and review mirror.
Works great to see traffic behind you, how well everything is secured on the trailer and of course seeing what is behind you backing up. I also installed yellow flashers and work lights.

Attachments

• Excavator.jpg
    Excavator.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 13

terex herder

What of these solutions are wireless, and will work on the back of a trailer with a load? I bought a wireless camera several years ago and mounted it on the rear of a trailer. The signal wouldn't go around the load on the trailer.

IceHole

I installed a Ecco Review camera kit on my Kenworth T800. The install was tricky. I mounted the one camera up pretty high on the rear gate, and welded on a dirt shield above. I used some heavy duty hosing and hosing protector to protect the cable from where it comes out from the dump bed, and goes into the rear gate. The monitor is mounted down from the cab roof by the CB and review mirror.
Works great to see traffic behind you, how well everything is secured on the trailer and of course seeing what is behind you backing up. I also installed yellow flashers and work lights.
I'm surprised it holds up to the tailgate banging.
I was thinking down by the pintle which wouldn't have a great angle.

IceHole

Android radio with a backup camera works extremely well within a few seconds, I put Android radios in all my vehicles and I want to find a dash cam solution that works with the radio as well instead of having to buy the standalone monitor kit

Android radios are down to like 150 now
Don't have radios in most stuff. Plus they are single DIN.

Joe H

There must be thousands of those little TVs that are in the back of car seats in junk yards, can they be used for a backup camera?

And as to the spotter backing someone into something, saw a woman wave her friend into a parking place until she pinched her own legs between the bumpers. Then she started screaming.

That was weird.

Joe H

skyking1

I mounted it under the edge of the bed. It is not centered because of the clearance light cluster. It gets dusty and condensation, but is safe from any of the dumping debris. When the bed goes up the back edge goes down and covers it OK.
It shows me the part I care about, what I am about to track over. Oh yeah and the hitches :)

cfherrman

Put a brush on your dump bed so when your dump bed dumps it brushes the camera up and down once automatically

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Put a brush on your dump bed so when your dump bed dumps it brushes the camera up and down once automatically
Good thinking! If the lens cover is glass or a hard surface, dust should not be an issue. But, if it is, set up an air line with momentary electrical control valve. My Lexan windshields can be scratched easily so one of my machines, the Barko 937, has an "Air Knife" cleaning attachment that blows air across the front glass when the switch is held down. This removes heavy dust/debris without risk of scratching the delicate surface. It's not as good as a wash down but it gets me by on a dusty day with lots of sun.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
I'm surprised it holds up to the tailgate banging.
I was thinking down by the pintle which wouldn't have a great angle.

Actually, the gate is a high lift gate. Either way I open the gate, there is enough slack in the cable. The camera does not help me to back up to the trailer hitch. I was going to mount more cameras, as the system can use multiple camera's to do more locations but I didn't want to spend that much money or time trying to run wires. Everything I heard sounded like wireless systems will not work with a steel dump box. I still get out and look when needed. I've only had one employee who could ever get me backed up perfectly to a hitch without ever having to pull forward and re- adjust.

Attachments

• 9 yards of gravel in truck.jpg
    9 yards of gravel in truck.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 6