• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Banded v- belts detroit 60 series alternator drive

crane operator

1998 60 series detroit - always have had trouble keeping individual belts on the alternator. Parts store says matched belts are a thing of the past- so I get what's available and keep a couple in the cab, and the pulleys are straight.

I replaced the alternator a couple years ago, but the lower pulley on the drive shows wear. I've sourced a lower drive assembly, and the guy I got it from suggested a banded v-belt, I've never used them. He said that's what came on them from the factory.

Mine always tends to roll a belt and throw it off. I've tried tighter, looser, and have the best luck if we only run 1 belt. But I'm thinking of getting a banded belt- or even switching to a serpentine style, to get rid of my tossing belts issue.

IMG_2424.JPG

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Banded belts work well. Use the numbers on those Gates belts to get the same section and yes the pulleys have to be matching. Banded belts may be less expensive than a serpentine or a toothed belt. The other thing is if a Banded belt fails one V belt will get you home.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Since I was curious, I guess matchmakers and milemakers are no longer a thing. I miss out on all the cool stuff.

Attachments

• GoodyearPowerTransCatalog1.Page90.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 4

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
How about powerbands from gates. It's more of an industrial application but if the shiv fits:rolleyes:
https://www.gates.com/us/en/power-transmission/v-belts/banded-v-belt.p.9093-000000-000000.html

I do recall the alt anchorage would wallow out the holes if guy was too lazy to properly tighten the pivot screw. I've seen a couple where the mount vibrated loose and destroyed the gear case.
These are banded belts and good quality, ran 2 triples on a forestry mulchers and quad on a flail mower. There was another brand whose name I can't remember but they were rubbish

crane operator

I do recall the alt anchorage would wallow out the holes if guy was too lazy to properly tighten the pivot screw. I've seen a couple where the mount vibrated loose and destroyed the gear case.

We had worn mount issues when we got this truck, and got that sorted out, but this tossing belts is a pain, and didn't go away in fixing the mount. I think ours didn't hurt the gearcase, but destroyed the alternator.

Somehow, I rarely throw the belt, but one of my other guys is always throwing it off. He's got reinstalling it down to a science.

I think I'll see what I can get from gates in the banded style. Thanks guys.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
You can still get matched belts if you match them yourself. Try and get a bunch of them together on the counter. You will see a lot of small numbers on the sides. If you get lucky, you will see one where all the numbers match except one set which is printed counting up, like

etc

If you can find ones where all the numbers match, and the number that counts up is close, I guess that is where they cut them off the main belt stock so the counting numbers help get belts that came off close to each other. Obviously this will only happen if your parts house orders more than one at a time.

Funny thing is, last time I looked for a matched set was about 1998 and they told me they did not exist back then. And here they were building trucks that still needed them.

If Mike says your pulleys are shot, I know you of all people could figure out how to replace it with poly-V, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the matching since I have had luck with that.

Truck Shop

Year 2006-A farmer brought a IH to the shop that kept throwing the WP/PS belts, DT466. Belts were
running straight and pulleys were not to bad. Went through 4 sets in 5 months.
Changed the damper-no more problem.

Reactions: DB2

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If the grooves are worn out, won't there be a big step in the faces where they would normally go straight from the wide part to the narrow part?