• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bank Sloping and Ditching

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
This goes out to all the operator's out there. I'm trying to learn more about bank sloping and ditching so that I can run our prototypes more effectively. What I'm hoping to get is pictures of larger graders using the moveable blade control feature to cut banks and ditches. Seeing the 2 to 1 bank slope or ditch being cut would be great as well. Thanks in advance and I hope to see the pictures start pouring in.

Turbo21835

I dont have any pictures, but you may want to look to a Cat dealership. If I remember correctly they have a video on the H series graders. They also have a small book on H series operations. One of the operators is some Randy Krieg guy, some may have heard of him?

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Here's what I have on My laptop

Bryan
I'm presently on the North Slope, but had these on my laptop. Hope this posting get through, we're having some problems with our satellite due to weather. I use the linkage for just about anything. I even set a lightplant in a spill containment last week using our 16M. ;)

Attachments

• Backsloping (Small) (2).JPG
    Backsloping (Small) (2).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,662
  • BackslopingII (Small).JPG
    BackslopingII (Small).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,528
  • Ice Removal Left Side (Small).jpg
    Ice Removal Left Side (Small).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,358
  • DITCH_CLEANING (Small).jpg
    DITCH_CLEANING (Small).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,371
  • Reverse Slope (Small).JPG
    Reverse Slope (Small).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,094

Randy Krieg

Occupation
More Lift Linkage Photos

Here's a few more ideas, getting ready for the curbing machine.....;) and another backsloping shot. There were some other pictures in the posting "Teaching the Tricks of Grading" I believe it was??? :confused:

Attachments

• Ready 4 Curbs 4 (Small).JPG
    Ready 4 Curbs 4 (Small).JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 2,345
  • Ready 4 Curbs (Small).JPG
    Ready 4 Curbs (Small).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,346
  • Ready 4 Curbs 2 (Small).JPG
    Ready 4 Curbs 2 (Small).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,353
  • 0D8T8749 (Small).JPG
    0D8T8749 (Small).JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,315

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
:woohoo beautiful shots Randy :notworthy

At 19yrs old I remember humping railway sleepers for about an hour in order to assist a 16 get over the backend and onto a lowloader, the trailer was a manual knockout neck or over the back :D

We just had the front wheels up on the backend and wondering how many more sleepers we would need in order for the blade to have clearance when an OPERATOR came along the haul road :D, He hooked the lowloader driver out of the cab, backed off, pulled the pin threw the turntable out the side picked the blade up and drove straight on and into the well with more clearance than I would ever thought imaginable :notworthy :notworthy :drinkup

JDOFMEMI

Good ones Randy

Question?
The 14 in the ditch in the snow, is it momentarily stuck, or just cleaning out the ditch?

Randy Krieg

Occupation
It's still movin

Jerry
I don't think you could get that grader stuck, it had Michelin X-Snowplus Tires with Sawtooth sipping. It was amazing where that machine could go. As long as the chains are still hanging on the ripper your not stuck. I was plowing ice out of the ditch to prevent a driveway from flooding. The homeower said the same thing when I got done cleaning the ditch. He was amazed at how those tires worked. I only had to chain that machine up two times the whole winter. Michelin now makes this tire in a 23.5 R25 and we are planning to put a set on our 16M. It will be awesome. I gotta get some sleep, I'm on night shift tonight...... send me some warm weather and I'll send you some oil!!!!!:D

AtlasRob That was a great story!!!!

Attachments

• Iceroad Const 4 (Small).JPG
    Iceroad Const 4 (Small).JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,144

JDOFMEMI

Randy

I put in your order for warm weather. Unfortunately, I have to tell you that the demand for it has outstripped the current supply, and all warm weather is currently on backorder. I am told it may not get to you until May or even June.
For an additional fee, I can request that it gets expedited, but there is no guarrantee on that either.

As for the grader in the ditch, I did not think you were really stuck, you would just row your way out with the blade if it would not drive out anyway.

Thanks for the update.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
:woohoo beautiful shots Randy :notworthy

At 19yrs old I remember humping railway sleepers for about an hour in order to assist a 16 get over the backend and onto a lowloader, the trailer was a manual knockout neck or over the back :D

We just had the front wheels up on the backend and wondering how many more sleepers we would need in order for the blade to have clearance when an OPERATOR came along the haul road :D, He hooked the lowloader driver out of the cab, backed off, pulled the pin threw the turntable out the side picked the blade up and drove straight on and into the well with more clearance than I would ever thought imaginable :notworthy :notworthy :drinkup

Great story!!! you'll never forget that lesson!!!

I had a similar situation years ago when an older operator came to my house. I was changing cutting edges on my machine with the table in the banking position and the blade laying horizontally at waist high level along the side of the machine. When he got out of his car he walked up to me with a puzzled look on his face and said "what are you doing?" I said changing cutting edges. He said "Oh, I always lay on the ground with the blade just off the ground and do that, usually takes two people". A couple years later I drove by his house and he was changing edges with his table and blade out the side. Never too late to learn new techniques!!! Secondly, never criticize an operator method until you've tried it. ;)

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
"Oh, I always lay on the ground with the blade just off the ground and do that, usually takes two people". .....................
Never too late to learn new techniques!!! Secondly, never criticize an operator method until you've tried it. ;)

Amen to that, as stated many times by members on here ( in many different ways) the day you stop learning is the day your either dead or need a new job :D

Danial Doherty

wow.... it blows my mind to see what some of you guys can do with these rigs... and i find fine grading hard!! lol can only hope to be as good as some of you guys some day!!!

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
Those are great pictures Randy! I'm going to keep them around and try some of those techniques.
I would really like to see some video's of some of that.
I have some old Cat vid's that I should brush off and look at. When did you leave Cat? Maybe your in one of them. I suppose they are from the early 80's. I also have some of the "Shake Hands with Danger" Video's from Cat that are fun to watch.