• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

battery current draw when sitting

ccrider966

Does anyone have a handle on how much current is drawn on a battery when sitting idle. My NH LS150 will drain a new battery to the point it will not start after setting for a month or so. I measure 11.5v between the loose ground cable and the negative post on the battery that shows 12.7v across the terminals but my small (cheap) meter shows no amps flowing on all scales! I have no idea what the electronics on the unit might be drawing in milliamps or whatever. I would guess there is some current draw even when sitting idle.

Delmer

On heavy equipment there shouldn't be enough draw that it matters over a few months. Most likely it's leaky alternator diodes or dirt leaking current from a hot terminal to ground.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We install battery disconnects as a standard on all machines when purchased new. With all the electronics gizmos that are powered up its cheap insurance against fire also. A farmer friend recently told me that his insurance company requires him to have disconnects on all his new tractors. Appears that there have been quite a few fires where hot electrics have started fires in dust, chaff, etc, that are readily extinguished when someone is around.

Randy88

Stupid question, does the skid steer have a door on it at all times? Reason I ask is this, I had the same issue on one of my new holland skid steers, took years to figure it out, mine would go dead in days of not using it, after more grief than I ever knew existed, it turned out being cats sitting on the seat, when they'd hear me coming, they'd scram and when I got there, nothing was around, the lights on the dash had gone out and nothing was amiss. Turned out the seat switch was so sensitive when a couple big kitty cats would sleep on the seat, apparently it was comfy for cats to sleep on, they would activate the switch, keep the dash lights on and drain the battery down. We finally solved the problem with keeping the door on it when it wasn't in the shop overnight, and also putting a couple washers under the seat switch, to pry it away from the seat bottom enough it took an actual person sitting in the seat to activate it. Can't begin to tell you how many batteries I went through, starters I had out, along with alternators getting checked over and battery checks we had done, hours spent on investigating the problem, and battery chargers we had on it to recharge dead batteries.

So if you can't figure out what's going on, it might happen when your not around and when you do the checks, things are fine and check out good, not saying that's what's going on, just something I came across that was listed under the unbelievable and totally weird, as the cause.

Had another of my new hollands do it occasionally too, we fought that for a long time before figuring out there was a kernel of corn stuck under the seat between the seat and the switch, turns out every once in a while, the corn kernel would lodge just right and keep the switch on, not all the time, just once in a while, leaving us with a completely weird scenario we just couldn't explain at all, till we got tired and went to install a new seat switch, then we found it.

Battery disconnects are great, but if you have electrical issues, that cause a "hot" circuit, eventually somebody's going to screw up and forget to flip the switch and that will be the time the machine goes up in smoke and flames, its always the best to figure out why, you have problems, rather than just install a band aid to the problem.

Z2898

Does anyone have a handle on how much current is drawn on a battery when sitting idle. My NH LS150 will drain a new battery to the point it will not start after setting for a month or so. I measure 11.5v between the loose ground cable and the negative post on the battery that shows 12.7v across the terminals but my small (cheap) meter shows no amps flowing on all scales! I have no idea what the electronics on the unit might be drawing in milliamps or whatever. I would guess there is some current draw even when sitting idle.

Older machines Max current draw was around 50 mA (.050 A), key off, engine off. Newer machines with ECM's can draw as much as 400 mA (.400 A) per ECM.

Easy to find out where the problem is. Connect a 12V test light (or ampmeter) in series between the positive post and the positive battery clamp. You have to disconnect the positive battery connection in order to install your test light or meter. If your 12V test light is on when you get it connected pull circuit fuses one at a time and watch for your test light to go out. If you pull all your fuses one at a time and your test light is still on then disconnect your B+ cable on your alternator. If you have a diode bleeding and you disconnect your alternator output wire the light will go out. If you are using an ampmeter watch for current draw around 400 mA (per ECM) which is acceptable.

All batteries will self discharge at a rate around 2%/month @ around 75 degrees F. Sounds to me like you have a circuit that is staying on or alternator is bleeding through a grounded diode. Probably a positive diode.

Cheers! Z