• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

Truck Shop

I'm glad the part time driving is working out.
The driving is a breeze-No cell service so no calls, every time we move to a different vantage point
for loading the driving game changes. so it keeps it interesting. It's just a job that requires two things
get the loads hauled/keep up with the combine and don't tear up equipment-pretty simple. His last
three years have been a disaster with hired help, a bank out wagon {brand new rolled, bumper torn
off a truck and trailer, forgot to release brakes on a trailer tore up 8 tires, tongue bent all to hell on
a pup trailer. He said I have sign a 100 year contract.
The engine work isn't hard on me for the simple fact I work when I want to. But as far as my old
employment those days are done. He bought this engine for his 86 FLC, which now I will be working
off and on helping him rebuild this late fall and winter. Lengthen frame and install Freightliner/Airliner
suspension. Install rear cab air-ride, and while engine swap is going on-install a late 13 speed.
When that's done scuff the cab and paint it white with a new black steel channel bumper. And last
but not least a single 6" X 7' straight pipe. Hopefully he will let me letter the bumper with----
Old Sh!t Stain as that's what I call the truck.

Welder Dave

Sounds like you're enjoying things and kind of having fun without any pressure. I wish I could get there.
I've been kind of debating what I should do. Season started off great at my MX track but now it's nothing but constant rain. Doesn't seem to be much interest in the oval track. Hopefully I can get some help to move pumps around when the rain quits. I just don't have the energy I used to and not sure if I should continue or look at shutting things down and selling everything. It's been weighing on me the last couple of weeks. Blood work and everything is good with no signs of cancer but with the treatments and the meds I get fatigued really fast. It's hard to stay motivated but part of it could be the crappy weather.

chidog

Sounds like you're enjoying things and kind of having fun without any pressure. I wish I could get there.
I've been kind of debating what I should do. Season started off great at my MX track but now it's nothing but constant rain. Doesn't seem to be much interest in the oval track. Hopefully I can get some help to move pumps around when the rain quits. I just don't have the energy I used to and not sure if I should continue or look at shutting things down and selling everything. It's been weighing on me the last couple of weeks. Blood work and everything is good with no signs of cancer but with the treatments and the meds I get fatigued really fast. It's hard to stay motivated but part of it could be the crappy weather.
Thats where all the Seattle rain is going, we want it back. I thought it was just fires in Canada?

Welder Dave

One extreme to the other sometimes both in the same province. I'll take the rain over a wildfire any day though. I've had a wildfire go through in 2010. Things can dry out after a rain. After a fire there's nothing to salvage. Thankfully I didn't lose any equipment or supplies.

Truck Shop

ECU for leveling the combine went south so had today off, but I found my accessory drive
gear pulling tool. Rebuilt the accessory drive, installed the liners, installed the cam and
hung the pistons on the new con rods. So fairly productive, for farting around.

Truck Shop

So I guess it tells you its bad before you try to turn around? I'm just guessing you are in the steep terrain from some of your pictures.
Extremely steep leveler is maxed. As far as telling operator yes and no, you know somethings not
right in a very short distance, ground speed cutting the peas on those slopes is about 2 mph. Grain
usually 2.5 to 3.0 depending on how thick. The trick is keeping a header that wide in the cut on
hillsides. He slid a few times this year, about 4' slide.

Truck Shop

Rained hard Monday morning, so waiting for wheat to dry enough to thrash. So today installed
rings and stuffed the pistons in the liners. And installed two heads-ran out of ambition. Maybe
see what it will come out to on injector timing this Sunday. I'll take a photo or two of that.
Don't have to hurry.

Truck Shop

So long as correct key in place should be a snap to get the boxes timed.
The cam was for a 369 CPL {BU} timing code of 65 nominal, with .060 of gaskets. This engine
is built on a {BY} timing code of .070 nominal. For every .007 of shim thickness it moves the
followers about .0015. I believe it has a .0015 key. So should be in the range of .021 of installed
gaskets. Wanting .071 to .073 slow, but if it comes out .069 to .071 that's ok too, it makes spec.

Truck Shop

The cams are the same except for MVT engines, I, II, III all used the same cam even into the IV.
I guess I was close on amount of gaskets to set timing and then yet I wasn't. It took .036 in gasket
thickness to get .071, because I noticed something with cam follower housings, could hardly read it.
Had .003 removed from surface on a rebuild, so that threw off what I was expecting it would take
for gaskets. So .071 it is.