• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Work with a guy that had a fellow worker who would eat the donuts but never buy any so he fill a jelly donut with 105 and the guy ate it, didn't even notice the difference. When they told him later he still didn't believe them, but never ate the stuffed donuts again.
The shops I worked at all had 105 so that's what I use and same as mekanik said for o-rings, and moly paste for head bolts.

Truck Shop

Latest core a BC III 350,, It has allot of useable parts but---remember that adage people like
to use---If you can work on a Briggs & Stratton you can work on a Cummins. And what I said
about the fact there must be allot Briggs that don't run worth a Sh!t.
This core----Total wrong cam/injector timing--cam was keyed as a 400 not a 350--Max gaskets
allowed is .080 to correct advance--it had a stack of .087. Bleed tube from return fuel to pt pump
pinched off---didn't need it because someone hung a non afc 335 pump on it. and pinched off
the boost tube to afc. Turbo was a old Garrett from a 335. Plus wrong compression ratio-- had
14.1's in it. Wasn't a cylinder that didn't have broken rings.
But the good side---crankshaft and camshaft were still in perfect condition-despite the-----
diesel dick that put it together.

mekanik

That steel line is important. Most mechanics have no idea why its there.

The shop I started working on trucks at in 1980 was opened in 1959. The engine room had a treasure trove of old Cummins manuals and training material and service bulletins. Someone who worked there years ago never threw anything away.

In the early 1960's Cummins was having a problem with the gear pump failing on the PT pumps. The rear bearing area was wearing and the gears would wear against the housing causing low fuel pressure. This problem was more common in areas with a lot of steep terrain. Cummins determined that the problem was caused by trucks descending long hills causing very little fuel flow through the pump. The gear pump would get hot causing the wear. The front bearing area would get some cooling from the pump housing.
Cummins came out with a "Cooling Kit" which consisted of a new gear pump with drillings to bleed some fuel from the rear bearing area of the pump through a drain line allowing cool fuel to enter and cool the pump. They supplied steel lines and fittings to connect to the return line at the rear of the rear cylinder head and a line to connect the pump to that line.

Your old Cummins trivia for the day!

Last edited:

Truck Shop

That steel line is important. Most mechanics have no idea why its there.
Correct----This pump had no drilled port for that bleed tube-which tells just how ancient it is.
But also {old Cummins trivia for the day}---A person is a mechanic or not a mechanic.
People---think of it this way. Your dentist--your in the chair, you realize your dentist doesn't
look familiar under that mask---and your correct it isn't your dentist. No it's the town plumber
drilling/grinding the top off your tooth for a crown, you see your regular dentist couldn't make
it there so his brother the plumber is filling in for him. But you shouldn't worry hell it's no big
deal any jack of zero trades can do what a dentist does, and he just got done unplugging a
toilet before dabbling in your mouth with bacteria ridden fingers. ;)

Old Doug

I think it would be hard to find someone that has rebuild the variety of engines i have rebuilt. I alot of time wish i could have worked on more of the same instead of several different kinds or brands. I had really good luck and not alot of nightmares . Early on we used STP one of the main reasons to stop using it was it was messy . I was told if you got it on the rings they would never seat. I rebuilt a 350 Chevy for my pickup several years ago . Its setting in the shop i turn it over every so often . I have a dummy distributor to turn the oil pump with a drill to prime it if i ever get time to install the engine.

colson04

I think it would be hard to find someone that has rebuild the variety of engines i have rebuilt. I alot of time wish i could have worked on more of the same instead of several different kinds or brands. I had really good luck and not alot of nightmares . Early on we used STP one of the main reasons to stop using it was it was messy . I was told if you got it on the rings they would never seat. I rebuilt a 350 Chevy for my pickup several years ago . Its setting in the shop i turn it over every so often . I have a dummy distributor to turn the oil pump with a drill to prime it if i ever get time to install the engine.
I have one of those dummy distributor shafts as well for a SBC. I built a small block 400 for my Dad's Camero years ago. That dummy shaft worked slick to prime everything before first fire.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I had one each GM, Ford and Crysler/odd balls as IH or AMC used many years. Sold to a kid getting in the business, he never panned out and left wrenching never saw adaptors again.

Truck Shop

I think it would be hard to find someone that has rebuild the variety of engines i have rebuilt.
Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Triumph, MG, Datsun/Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Saab, Volvo, VW, All Fords, Chevy's &
Chrysler/Dodge, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Cadillac, Buick, Porsche, International, Perkins, Mack, Cummins, Cat, Detroit, John Deere & last but not least Wisconsin, and a few I forgot.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Liked Wisconsins. Simple engines.

Buick straight 8 in a small service tow boat was a challenge. Had to have running in three weeks from pull out and would NOT here of replacing with anything else. Dad always told us the straight 8s back two holes always ran hot, river boat work the engine purred like a kitten and actually ran cold.

Tyler d4c

Liked Wisconsins. Simple engines.

Buick straight 8 in a small service tow boat was a challenge. Had to have running in three weeks from pull out and would NOT here of replacing with anything else. Dad always told us the straight 8s back two holes always ran hot, river boat work the engine purred like a kitten and actually ran cold.
You can have those Wisconsin engine I'm not sure any onlf them ever ran correctly or efficiently. I wasn't around for there hay day but the few I was around I hated with a passion

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Tended to be quirky, distributors were touchy yet if bushings good and cam not worn too badly were strong firing engines. Did not ever want to run one hot, gall a piston and were a royal PITA.
Also on the old Wisconsin's, with the V-4's you had to be careful with the distributors. Some of them were what I would call even firing and others were not. Not sure how to put it in words but where most four cylinder distributer cams were more or less square in some of the Wisconsin's the distributor cams were more of a trapezoid, if that makes sense!

oarwhat

"You can have those Wisconsin engine I'm not sure any of them ever ran correctly or efficiently. I wasn't around for there hay day but the few I was around I hated with a passion"

I agree. they were a pain in my butt.

Tyler d4c

"You can have those Wisconsin engine I'm not sure any of them ever ran correctly or efficiently. I wasn't around for there hay day but the few I was around I hated with a passion"

I agree. they were a pain in my butt.
A kubota diesel is much better or about anything

JaredV

Glad to hear all the good news! I just bought a swather with a Wisconsin, V65D I think. Runs good but I'm sure I'll learn all about it in time. Hopefully it'll take awhile, only gonna need it for a half day a year. If worse comes to worse, I'll cut it off behind the tires, weld a tongue on the side with a power shaft and make it a pull type.