• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best Mid Size?

Tri-Star

Ok I am looking for a machine in the 12-15 ton class with center swing boom. Just wanted to hear your thoughts! Kinda like the Terex TC125, so lets hear it!

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
Not alot of choices with the pivoting boom. Look at the Takeuchi they are solid machines and with united rentals as a dealer parts and service is widely available.

Gmads

Occupation
Ditchdigger
Takeuchi 1140s are good machines (32,000lbs) - we have two. Have been dependable, comfortable cabs, operators like them.

Don't know anything about the Terex or equivalent IngersollRand model.

Yanmar makes an SV100 (21,000lbs). We've used the Yanmar machine extensively in smaller sizes (rentals) and have never had any problems out of them - cabs are a little small though.

Komatsu has a PC128-UU model that has an offset boom - Cat has a 313 with an offset boom (rare in a US model but does exist). Trade off is that usually you have a shallower dig depth because the stick is usually shorter. We have a 308C and a 307 with an offset boom and I prefer to dig with the offset boom than with the swing boom.

Tri-Star

Gmads thanks for the info. Didnt know they made a machine as big as the 1140s. How do u think they would compare to say a 953C, as a all around machine?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Gmads thanks for the info. Didnt know they made a machine as big as the 1140s. How do u think they would compare to say a 953C, as a all around machine?

Well, I think comparing a 953C to a 1140 Tak, is like comparing apples to watermelons. Tak makes a great excavator and Cat makes a great track loader. I don't have a Tak but a buddy/partner of mine has a 145 and I have ran it on occasion and was impressed every time. I do have an '04 953C and that is a great machine as well. Both of these machines are good machines but very different in application.

What are you planning on doing with this "future machine purchase"?

Tri-Star

Well for lot clearing small building sites, and other residential work which would u choose?I have a T-300 I could put with the hoe so I would think you could do alot with the two!! Just my opinion and u know how far that goes.

Tri-Star

Ok guys here is what I have and what I thought about!

Komatsu D41 loader
New Holland LB75 4X4 extenda hoe
T-300/w grapple & harley rake

I dont use the loader that much just clearing and lite truck loading so thought about trading it and the backhoe for the midsize! What do u think? Less equipment to keep up but still do the same work!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well for lot clearing small building sites, and other residential work which would u choose?I have a T-300 I could put with the hoe so I would think you could do alot with the two!! Just my opinion and u know how far that goes.

I hear ya' now. Depending on the size jobs you perform, an 1140 size machine and a T300 could be a very leathal combo. A 953 is an awsome machine for all around tasks on medium to large jobs as well, just more expensive to own and operate.

I have a T250 that works with the 953 sometimes and they compliment each other depending on the job.

For small building sites and residential work, I would recommend going with the 1140 and pairing it with the T300 when needed. You can do a lot of "small" jobs, including commercial site prep.

Ok guys here is what I have and what I thought about!

Komatsu D41 loader
New Holland LB75 4X4 extenda hoe
T-300/w grapple & harley rake

I dont use the loader that much just clearing and lite truck loading so thought about trading it and the backhoe for the midsize! What do u think? Less equipment to keep up but still do the same work!

I think that would be a good idea, but only you know your project types and work load. To me having one less piece of equipment to insure and maintain but still have the ability to do the same jobs = more productivity and lower operating costs.

Good luck:drinkup

petersfamilytru

a 953C seems like an awfully big machine for residential work... From what I've seen of the resiential guys, the one's who stay busy and succeed have small stuff... A mini-excavator and a skidsteer seem more appropriate if residential is all you are planning on tackling.

Just my thoughts...

www.petersfamilytrucking.com