• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best tip

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
I saw this on lawnsite and thought it might go over good here. What is the best money/time saver you've come up with over the years. It can be your own or something you "stole" from somebody else. I'm relatively new but I do have one. When doing a 360' in my skidsteer on (old, parking lot etc.) pavement I'll raise the machine slightly with the bucket so only the back wheels are touching the ground. Turns without jerking and saves the tires. Anybody else.......?

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Keeping the front bucket on any machine as low as possible. This sounds like common sense, but it amazes me how many people drive around with the front bucket way too high in the air. The benefit of not flipping a machine is well worth it in my mind.

Last edited:

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
"Crowd the crown" when moving large machinery, meaning, leave a little more hanging off on the crown of the road, for better ballast.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
First, I gotta say to badranman, thanks. Great topic ! None of us knows everything, (least of all me) and I'm sure we'll all learn something worthwhile. I like the several that are posted above.

I gave it some thought today and realized the best guidance I ever got wasn't an operating tip as much as it is a general principle: No Wasted Motion.

Real early on, my Dad and I went to visit a friend of his on the guy's jobsite. He pointed to his operator and said to watch how smooth he was, and how every move he made with the machine had a purpose. I may not be able to achieve that every day, but I'm sure that shooting for it has made me a better operator.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Badranman, another way to do the same thing is to rock the skidsteer backwards and then go forward and make your turn at the same time. This produces a small wheelie and unloads the front tires saving tire wear. Of course this won't work with anything in the bucket.
Whenever I am on a job I am always thinking of ways to be efficient. I try to do a job so anytime I am moving, I am accomplishing something. If using a skidsteer it might be backdraging when I am going to get another load so that the path I take is smoother and therefor faster without spilling any of the load.
When I first started using a backhoe, I concentrated on being smooth and using two functions at the same time to prevent overdriving the hydraulics. This pays off because when you get the speed and you are smooth, you can really accomplish a lot and still be easy on the equipment.
The neatest thing I have done is to modify my 4in1 bucket on my Bobcat. I made a screen I can see through that goes on the back. It is tilted slightly forward so it never clogs with dirt or mud etc. I then welded on some wings to the side of the bucket to match the height of the screen and now the bucket will carry one third more material. At first I thought it might not work or someone would have done it already but it works great. You can see the front edge through the screen (heavy duty diamond screen) yet it will hold a whole lot more dirt when you start filling the bucket. The screen has never clogged on me no matter what kind of dirt I have been working in. I haven't yet worked in real slimy clay with it. Everything else cleans out well even when wet. All the material cost less than $50 plus a little time to cut and weld.

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
For me working in the field that I do I follow a few rules:

First: If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Which leads into my second rule: I do things ONCE,If you tell me that you need 30 sheets of plywood and you really need 40 then you get to carry the last 10:Banghead

Third: Be prepared and organised- I have complete lumber list for every last piece of wood that goes into every thing we build. Piece workers should not have to ask for anything.
Hourly workers can get their own material because there gonna cut it wrong the first time anyway:pointhead

Fourth: Be safe

Cat420 we had a machine roll over last week on one of our jobs because the GENIOUS was driving along a ditch with the load about 10 feet up. No injuries reported just air in the hydraulic pump.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Dwan, I just went through my pictures and I don't have one that shows the bucket good. I'll work on getting one and post it.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks, as uasual when someone new runs one they dump snow over the back of the bucket and anything I can do to stop it will save there legs and my windows.