• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bidding jobs

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
i would like to know how to price house lots .30x30 full basement for instant stump,strip, dig, backfill x equipment,labor,compactor,lazer equals price also what percentage in price increase if any has ocurr since one year because of fuel

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
pricing

i would like to know how to price house lots .30x30 full basement for instant stump,strip, dig, backfill x equipment,labor,compactor,lazer equals price also what percentage in price increase if any has ocurr since one year because of fuel

Hard to give you excatly what you are asking for, but heres some thoughts. Not sure what machine you are going to excavate with, I have a Cat 320 and I get $140 hr for the machine and operator, probrably take me about 10-16hrs, just to dig the hole and stock pile it, depends on type of soil. What are you going to do with the excess dirt? Put money in to spread, or haul off dirt.
I usually have one labor with the operator, unless its a big job, he runs the Bobcat (if needed) compactor, lazer, shovel, etc. It depends on the job, but I charge $40 per hour for labor, it covers the workers comp ins. and his salary.
Add in compactor, lazer, etc rental
There is no way to bid a job, more than 30 days (and 30 days is almost impossible) I would add that the job is good for 30 days and for any longer period, there could be a fuel surcharge added.
If you have to truck it off, try to find someone that needs fill dirt, you might get it moved free.
Hope it helps

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
pricing

i would like to know how to price house lots .30x30 full basement for instant stump,strip, dig, backfill x equipment,labor,compactor,lazer equals price also what percentage in price increase if any has ocurr since one year because of fuel[/QUOTE
sorry I hit the button twice

Last edited:

kamerad47

Is there anybody the moves dirt for free anymore? With the price of fuel how can you ! Even if i give the dirt away you still are going to pay for the trucking!!!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
moving dirt

Is there anybody the moves dirt for free anymore? With the price of fuel how can you ! Even if i give the dirt away you still are going to pay for the trucking!!!
I guess you are replying to my comment about you might get it moved for free. Guess you are not in the business, if a person has use/sale for the dirt, he can move it from a close jobsite for free. This doesnt mean that you can move it for free, if the trip is far away. I figured most business people would know what I meant. I moved 50 loads of free dirt, a few weeks ago, to my local storage area. I sold the dirt and trucked it for that person. Yes, it wasnt free dirt, but I didnt have to pay $50 a load, so I could afford to truck it 15 miles. I ended up getting $150 a load for it.
So I made money on the sale of the dirt and I got the trucking
Of course, nothing is free, sorry I wasnt totally clear:Banghead

kamerad47

Been in business for 25 yrs., but I get payed for the trucking & the sale of the material!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Final response

This is my final response to your request for advice, I will be removing this from my watch list. I thought this forum was to give people advice on their projects, etc. and we all learn from reading the replies, not a forum where we have to defend what we say. I have about 36 years of experience and the only reason I reply to these questions, is to help people. I have learned a lot of stuff from the school of hard knocks and I dont mind sharing them, if will help someone out.:Banghead
I would never try to list information that is not correct, I dont care what anyone says, if you knew where to get free dirt from a jobsite, and you had it sold to a customer in your local area, what makes the most sense, get the dirt loaded for free, or go pay for it at the dirt pit. Ill take free over $50 a load anyday
Good luck in your bidding on the jobs

jmac

Willis I guess he doesn't understand what you mean. I just did a job that had 30 trucks to haul off and I quoted the job like that but my haul site was about 1 hour round trip, I found a site about 1/2 hour round trip so I just gave the fill away and saved 15 hours of trucking. I could of sold the fill for $50 per load at the first site ( all I could get ) so $750 but cost about $750 to truck to the farther away site, so taking 15 hours out of the time it took me to do the project was a better deal, consider the 15 hours my excavator sat idle waiting for the truck and I made money . Depending on the numbers somestime free can work out. I could of hired out more trucks but that has a cost to it also, about $90 per hour. I try and work out all the numbers to find the best way on every job, and I bet you do the same.

kamerad47

Jmac I understand very well, you got rid of the dirt for free but you got paid for your truck right? My point was that when fuel was cheap!! (ha) some people would say I have to get rid of the dirt anyway so they would truck it & absorb the cost ! Now a days with fuel so much $$$$$ those days are gone!