• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big Dirt California Style

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
A couple more pics the server problem wouldn't let me post last night .
Hopefully it will all be better soon!
The forman did get a little upset with me, because I was lying flat on the ground a couple of times, to make the pics look more impressive. But he was cool, and didn't kick me off! Things are different, now we are in the age of lawyers and insurance men, but he had a point. Getting run over wouldn't have been a good way to end a vacation!
Be courteous if you go on a job, and always keep your eyes and ears open. Leave the cell phone off and the headphones in your truck!
alan627b

Attachments

• DSC06418 (Small).JPG
    DSC06418 (Small).JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,480
  • DSC06479 (Small).JPG
    DSC06479 (Small).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,470
  • DSC06481 (Small).JPG
    DSC06481 (Small).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,479
Last edited:

fensoncont.

That's something I always found interesting from the earthwork out there. I always seem to see many more wheel dozers working in the fill. I've never seen a wheel dozer in person here in Ohio.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
That's something I always found interesting from the earthwork out there. I always seem to see many more wheel dozers working in the fill. I've never seen a wheel dozer in person here in Ohio.

on big fill dump sites like this we offen will have a couple 824s and a 16 grader running as well as at least one sheeps foot scraper type compator.

Last edited:

fensoncont.

Local reservoir project that took place this past summer involved 450,000 CY earthwork. The contractor utilized 4 621's, and 2 627's. In general there was a D6H LGP working in the cut, 750J LT working on the slope with GPS AccurGrade (spelling?) All the scrapers were filling in an area being controlled by 1 815F. The compactor kept up and the fill/compacting was done very efficiently in my opinion. They also had a 12H working on the haul road, he would come through every now and then on the fill to make travel filling better for the scrapers.

The other project had about 4 631's running, with a full time D8L and 825 in the fill, there's a big difference in the way companies do things.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
This last bunch was one of the 657's getting an in field hitch job. Kind of interesting, if you've never seen one broken in two before. By that, I mean split for repair! When it happens while working, it usually woudn't be this pretty....

Attachments

• DSC06504 (Small).JPG
    DSC06504 (Small).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,476
  • DSC06505b (Small).JPG
    DSC06505b (Small).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,461
  • DSC06503b (Small).JPG
    DSC06503b (Small).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,444
Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I think it would be easier in a shop...but it wasn't unpleasant at that time of year. Gotta love shirt sleeves in March....

Attachments

• DSC06506 (Small).JPG
    DSC06506 (Small).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,447
  • DSC06507 (Small).JPG
    DSC06507 (Small).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,455

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
The last two....

Attachments

• DSC06509 (Small).JPG
    DSC06509 (Small).JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,459
  • DSC06508b (Small).JPG
    DSC06508b (Small).JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,445

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
We didn't use sheepsfoots very often unless they was a bit of clay on the job. Every few lifts or so we would have the scrapers wheel role everything if we needed to. There is a lot of sand in socal that way it just needs water, but when you do get into clay its nasty or rock for that matter. A 57 doesn't seem so big when your talking about moving millons of yards until you park in next to something else. There ain't many companies that have shops in socal not like you would have where there is more rain or cooler weather.

Last edited:

Gavin84w

King post on a 57 in the field is a fun job, usually i would weld supports to the side of the bowl under the draft arms and set up a jack right in the centre also, the trick is to park up on dead level ground and put a little down pressure on the cutting edge cause when you pull the front away it will come up a bit once it comes out of the hitch due to tyre pressure etc.

With regard to compaction it all depends on the dirt, a big crowd down here run the full scrapers through the fill and empty on the way out just to help the 825, and when he has 8 51's comin at him he needs all the help he can get!

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
i think that in dirt like that if all those big scrapers worked together dumped in thin long ribbons every one splitting their tracks compaction would be easy to pass

Eric

Man those are great shots, we run 824 rubber tire dozers in the mine. Use them for shovel clean ups and chasing rock!! Had a 834 as well. All I can say is DANG they are rough.:Banghead :Banghead :Banghead Hate running them!! Never run a scraper before, couldn't be worse than a 824!!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
i think that in dirt like that if all those big scrapers worked together dumped in thin long ribbons every one splitting their tracks compaction would be easy to pass

Can't do that most of the time because you have to mix the water in. The thiner you dump the more ground you cover then the wheel dozer can't keep up or the water trucks. Unless you have a long haul or only a few scrapers. Most of the scraper hands are crap and would get lost and dump who knows where if you started splitting tracks.

Man those are great shots, we run 824 rubber tire dozers in the mine. Use them for shovel clean ups and chasing rock!! Had a 834 as well. All I can say is DANG they are rough.:Banghead :Banghead :Banghead Hate running them!! Never run a scraper before, couldn't be worse than a 824!!

Yes scrapers are worse just think about driving in the same situation, but at 45+MPH. You think a 824 is bad try a 825 they have steel sheeps foots for wheels.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
didnt mean to be so vague, we dump in ribbons from one end of the fill to the other, not driving on the ribbon we are currently working on, but splitting our tracks or wheel rolling the rest of the fill on our way in and out,the roller if caught up rolls the ribbon we are working on leaving the last scraper dump untouched so the next scraper knows where to dump, the drier the dirt the thinner we dump so the water penetrates better.

fensoncont.

Very interesting, what kind of fleet of machines do you guys run 637slayer? The idea of the drier the soil smaller lifts for better water penetration seems genious to me, you guys all have on the job experience, I go by the book and studies until I can get out in the field. I'd never thought about that before but it makes perfect sense, when the lift is still in its loose/swell state the voids will allow the water to rush right through there.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
yes it makes a huge difference, after a scraper spreads out its load while the dirt is in this looser condition its the best time to absorb water, i have been on a couple airport jobs, lengthening and widening adding taxiways to existing runways and the federal specs for compaction and moisture were unreal, we were forced to run three different fills covering each one then adding the water then processing then more water, on that job we had 2 627fs, 5 631cs three 140gs, 1trackhoe, 2 rollers, 2 631 waterwagons,1 641bwaterwagon, 3 watertrucks.

dpull

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Scrapers

Alan627b,
Great pictures of the big scraper fleets, I've never seen that many on onejob at a time. I used to work in the Strip Mines here in Ohio when I got out of the military in 1973 and started out on a Terex TS24. They had two 24' and two 14's and was always amazed at the dirt we could move in 10 hrs a day. Some of the bigger mines had 657's. Sidwell Bros. did a lot of stripping for Central Ohio Coal and had quite a few of them at one time when the coal was big here. One time they were stripping overburden and had two D9's pushing the 657 and it caught a rock ledge and before the dozer men knew what was happening they rolled the bottem of the bowl up like a can lid. Another fellow did alot of reclamation work for Central Ohio Coal and had a huge fleet of TS24 and 32s. It was always neat to watch all the Green iron run. I picked up a pair of the norscot 657s at the toy show last year. Not bad for norscot.

Mass-X

824’s versus 825’s. “Method Spec” compaction theories. “Let the scrapers and the water pulls take care of it.” I’ve seen a lot of mass grading contractors take different views on compaction when building big fills.

Personally, I don’t trust anything but a sheepsfoot or a vibratory compactor to compact a fill.

I have no respect for rubber tired dozers as compaction machines. RTD’s are made for cleaning up load-out floors in mines and pushing slobbers into the crusher that the haul trucks leave behind. I don’t believe in them on scraper projects. Some may argue that if you fill the tires with calcium chloride they work great. I disagree.

To clarify with some of the Californians; 95% of the material I’ve seen in California is so evenly graded in it’s composition that thin lifts underneath rubber tires will work. But that’s a very isolated situation; I’ve not seen many other places like California.

Any material that an RTD can sufficiently compact, a sheepsfoot can do as well, if not better in most cases.

There are far too many horror stories of contractors who built big fills, only to have them settle 3-5 years later due to improper compaction techniques. I don’t want to tarnish my reputation like that.

Wolper Construction is one contractor that branched into the mass grading sector a few years ago, did some residential work involving some big fills, and then got kicked/walked off the project (depends on who’s side of the story you hear). A different contractor came in and finished.

Five years after completion, some people backyards slipped away from their $1 million+ house and slid down slopes, houses settling and basements cracking, roads falling apart and numerous utilities problems. A little core drilling and some material sampling later showed a lot of problems in the bottoms of the fills: all because of the corners cut in the compaction department (and some very poor choices regarding fill material). Last I heard the lawsuit filed against them for the problems in their fills was $10 million.

This is only one of many horror stories I’ve heard about compaction failures, often due to improper equipment utilized during construction.

A lot of times, it is the general contractors/developer’s fault for not policing the contractor. But I still don’t think it’s excusable for any contractor to cut a corner like that just because there was no dirt cop out there checking compaction.

Many residential projects will have no inspectors monitoring the big cuts/fills. No nuclear moisture/density tests taken until you’re into the AB grades in the streets. Too many contractors cut corners and take advantage of this to cut the cost of a compaction machine working full time. Or at most, put an RTD on the fill because it’s a cheap machine.

As you get into projects like transportation/railroad you start seeing an inspector monitoring the fills and testing randomly. Specifications that have to be met and adhered to, etc. Overall, a lot better level of quality control. In most transportation projects, DOT’s won’t approve RTD’s as compaction machines. They used to, but its becoming rarer and rarer every year. They greatly prefer to see a sheepsfoot or some type of vibratory compactor building their roads.

I’ve done some refinery site development projects where the 657’s were required to lay down 8” lifts (measured by a GPS), compacted with a sheepsfoot compactor, and pass 95%+ compaction throughout the entire fill, up to 20’ in some cases. Not hard to achieve with an 825, but I’d love to see an 824 do it.

I’ve also seen some projects where 94% and lower would fail you, and 100% would fail you. Try achieving that with an RTD. A lot of times you don’t need a vibratory compactor as in many materials a sheepsfoot will accomplish that.

Articulating soil compactors/sheepsfoot’s are a lot more expensive to purchase and maintain than RTD’s, but I think it’s a justified expense that a lot of contractors cut the corner on. I’d rather make up for the extra expense of a sheepsfoot somewhere else on the project, versus reducing the cost, using an RTD, and risking a compaction failure.

The other big change being seen is the utilization of GPS on compactors. Nothing beats a skilled operator in an 825H with a GPS. I’ve seen some very good operators in 815’s, 825’s and 835’s that can finish large pads to +/- .1’ with no assistance from a grader or paddlewheel if the machine is equipped with a GPS.

Having the sheepsfoot on the fill finish the grade to spec beats the hell out of having a blade and paddlewheel follow the scrapers and balance all the pads to finish grade.

I always laugh when I see companies putting GPS systems on 824’s or 834’s. Those machines are not very good at maintaining grades compared to a sheepsfoot and can’t push nearly as much material.

I’ve seen several good sheepsfoot hands that can get their machines onto fill slopes and maintain slope grades quite well. Anything less than a 3:1 is pretty manageable for a sheepsfoot to maintain as long as the fill is relatively small/narrow (roads, railroad grades). Excellent operators can get onto 2:1 slopes and keep them graded to within spec.

Larger pad fills will require a dozer on those slopes to maintain the grade of the fill slope while the compactor focuses on the lift compaction.

I’ve been on some shot rock jobs where the fill dozers working the slopes can’t make the slope look decent until the sheepsfoot walks the entire slope to break up any larger rocks, pack them into the slope so that the dozer has some fines to work with to take the slope to finish grade.

Overall, I think any company that does mass grading projects, is far better suited to have a good sheepsfoot compactor (preferably with GPS) to build all fills, regardless of type of material. They’re more versatile, and in the long run are a lower cost alternative to those damned RTD’s.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
didnt mean to be so vague, we dump in ribbons from one end of the fill to the other, not driving on the ribbon we are currently working on, but splitting our tracks or wheel rolling the rest of the fill on our way in and out,the roller if caught up rolls the ribbon we are working on leaving the last scraper dump untouched so the next scraper knows where to dump, the drier the dirt the thinner we dump so the water penetrates better.

Where did you come up with the word ribbon?????? I just called them windrows!!!:drinkup :usa

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
a ribbon is when one scraper dumps after another in a line, one scraper dumps then the next starts dumping where the previous scraper left off,thats the way i was taught.when a scraper dump reaches the end of the fill the next scraper starts a new ribbon one scraper over from the last ribbon. so all the dirt gets worked evenly, watered and rolled. i also use this method when topsoiling, even when im running alone,so i can cover an area evenly without running on the dumped topsoil. i dont know if that made sense or not.