• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big time.....

crankybait

Occupation
transport
For those about to rock.. we salute you

Attachments

• 20130930_130725.jpg
    20130930_130725.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,333
  • 20130930_130800.jpg
    20130930_130800.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 20130930_130703.jpg
    20130930_130703.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,339

kokosing

Occupation
assistant manager/operator for a lumber reload yar
These must be taken in Austrailia...

maddog

I have to get a different computer, one that excepts pictures from the other side of the planet :D :D

wheelie

oops

Attachments

• 20130930_130725.jpg
    20130930_130725.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 20130930_130800.jpg
    20130930_130800.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • 20130930_130703.jpg
    20130930_130703.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,221
Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Nice ride and good pics, now that I don't have to turn the screen over:D

Do you ever have trouble with the chains on the bumper? I am wondering how they handle going over humps on the road. It looks like when the rear goes in a hole and the front has to come up that something would give.
I have only hauled like this a little bit, so I am no expert. I usually go over the axles each way, front and back, so the nose can go up and down a little with no harm.

Oxbow

I am curious about turning. Does the stinger move around on the booster much during a tighter turn? I have not hauled with an outfit like that and I am not being critical, just curious.

JDOFMEMI

Ox

What you may be missing is that the stinger dolly has a tongue on it that gets chained side to side and keeps the thing reasonably on track. These chains hold the tongue up as well as side to side, and that works with the weight transfer to reduce the load on the dolly axles so they can make weight. Not as big of an issue with a single, but with a twin engine it is. The scraper will slip slightly in the turns, but is chained enough it will not go anywhere. Well, usually.
I loaded one out where I could not get the truck out the gate of the job, and I did not want to be in the street longer than I had to, so I put it on the stinger on the jobsite, then drove the scraper out into the street to load onto the trailer. I had to make two full lock turns with the scraper getting out of the job, and one of my binders broke holding the stinger down. I managed to get around the turn without falling off of the dolly, and got loaded, then put the can down on the trailer to re position the dolly and re chain it. With all that hassle, I should have done the whole thing in the street. Oh, the value of hindsight.
Properly tied down, they will track straight and you can make a pretty hard turn with no trouble.

Oxbow

Thanks JDOFMEMI, I realize my ignorance now. I had thought that the dolly was a 2 axle booster and was thinking that the can could have been placed on the back of the lowboy. Now that you have me straightened out it makes sense. The stinger is resting pretty much over the front dolly axle, which is then transfering some weight onto the rear of the lowboy. We don't see many dollies like that here, but 1 or 2 axle boosters are common.

As per your comment regarding the way the front is chained, I have also had difficulty when chaining directly to the front of scrapers and ADT's. I much prefer to chain to the axles and allow the front to float a bit, it is easier to keep chains snug, and alot easier on the chains and trailer.

JDOFMEMI

Ox

You may still be a bit confused. I am not sure though.
The stinger dolly is not connected to the trailer at all. It is only chained to the scraper, so it follows the scraper can, which turns at the hitch. The tongue is chained up and side to side, and the weight transfer is through the scraper can to the front axles of the scraper.
Hauling like this is usually done on a short trailer, like a jeep with the fifth wheel tower removed, but it is easy enough with a full length trailer like in the pictures.

Like you said, I hate to chain to the gooseneck for a load that is on the deck. It shock loads the chains as the trailer flexes.

Oxbow

Ohhh, now I get it. So are the hydraulic rams on the scraper steering manipulated such that the neck will pivot? Probably so, and that may be what the lines hanging between the can and tractor, in the picture, are for.

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Ox

With the scraper engine off, the steering valve will allow the cylinders to float, so it follows just like a trailer.

The hanging lines you see are the air and electrical for the dolly. They have to go over the load, as the tail swing in the turns is more than any coil cord would take.

Also, the dolly does not have maxi's on it so when it is unhooked you can bleed the air out of the tanks and roll it under the scraper by hand.