• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

big tires

counter

Occupation
manager
in not in the buisness of earthmoving, but i love it! ive noticed that you guys can run rubber tired machines to the point of no ,to , little if any tread at all! on ur machines! if they work well wearin slicks, why dont the manufactures of these machines just mount slicks! ?

Turbo21835

Some do have "drag slicks" as an option. This 980G I used to run had slicks. 90% of my day was on concrete, so there was no need for a lugged tire. In any environment with soft underfoot conditions, lugged tires are needed, even if there is not much there, it helps a lot.

Attachments

• 0610070015-1.jpg
    0610070015-1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 712
  • 0612190022.jpg
    0612190022.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 708

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Actually just because they're smooth doesn't mean they're solid, I used to run a quarry machine and those tires only had grooves that went in maybe a quarter of the tire the middle 3/4s was smooth and they where air filled, I think that most of the solid tires are used in really nasty work like dumps and that sort.

special tool

in not in the buisness of earthmoving, but i love it! ive noticed that you guys can run rubber tired machines to the point of no ,to , little if any tread at all! on ur machines! if they work well wearin slicks, why dont the manufactures of these machines just mount slicks! ?

HMMMMM,
I have been noticing all of your posts, counter.
Always a recurring theme, borderline inflammatory, with inconsistent grammatical errors.

You dad was a longtime operator, so you have said.
Let's see the pics, please.
Calling you out, Bubba.:tong

Turbo21835

Those tires were not solid tires. They were foam filled. They do have a rough ride, but not much worse than a regular tire. Like i say most of the day was spent on concrete, the thing that gave you the rough ride were potholes. Simple solution, avoid them. Then again, a big portion of the day was spent on two wheels only. Most of the stuff I was moving was heavy, not to mention the heavy bucket.

dayexco

HMMMMM,
I have been noticing all of your posts, counter.
Always a recurring theme, borderline inflammatory, with inconsistent grammatical errors.

You dad was a longtime operator, so you have said.
Let's see the pics, please.
Calling you out, Bubba.:tong

i just read quite a few...not all, of his posts, and i am trying to find out any that i read where you would consider them imflammatory? he's asked a LOT of questions, so what? if he can't produce pics of equipment his father ran, that make him a liar? i'm trying to figure out what's going on here?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
i'm trying to figure out what's going on here?

That makes two of us. I consider this is a worldwide website. It has posts from experienced to clueless persons, but isn't the whole point to ask questions and share experience? I hope we never lose our perspective on this, no matter who asks a question. There are those who have been in the seat, and those that wish they were. One is no better than, nor worse than the other. :)

D4's D5

Occupation
Instrument/Electrical Technician
Here are some rough riding slick tires. Setco solids... :Banghead

Attachments

• fork2.jpg
    fork2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 634
  • fork3.jpg
    fork3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 635

joispoi

It´s called overhead. Replacing tires when they´re down to 50% gets pretty expensive.

If the tires are round, hold air, roll and move the machine around, they´re still good.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
It´s called overhead. Replacing tires when they´re down to 50% gets pretty expensive.

If the tires are round, hold air, roll and move the machine around, they´re still good.

Hey.... are you sure your not my former boss? lol I had the city workers make fun of me for more than 6 months because I had a backhoe that was ready for the drag races. Both back tires were completely bald. I HAD to use the 4wd off road. But I also did an average of 10-15 miles a day on the road so new tires were just going to get burned down anyways.

I tell ya though... the day that tire finally popped I was so happy. It was liek christmas 2 brand new Primex tires :D

surfer-joe

Smoothies were originally designed for rock work on the bigger loaders. Idea was that with no lugs or tread, rocks would not have any one spot to dig in and tear out a chunk of rubber. With large loaders (980 up), traction in rock is not a big consideration as the weight of the machine, used properly, will supply all the traction needed. They don't work worth a tinker's damn in mud or slick conditions. That's why people prefer a lugged tire or one with at least some tread pattern to it for all around working conditions underfoot.

Otherwise, because of the size and cost of the larger tires, owners want to get maximum wear out of them, which means taking them right down to the last tenth of treadwear. You don't want to go too far and ruin the tire for retreading considerations, and you do have to think about what kind of material you are working in. If that tread gets too thin, it doesn't take much to puncture it and that could ruin a tire for retreading too.

If the tire has some sections in it or other damage that takes it out of the running for the retread shop, then it gets put on the rear and becomes a "run out." That simply means it's used to destruction, after which it becomes tugboat bait.

joispoi

Hey.... are you sure your not my former boss? lol I had the city workers make fun of me for more than 6 months because I had a backhoe that was ready for the drag races. Both back tires were completely bald. I HAD to use the 4wd off road. But I also did an average of 10-15 miles a day on the road so new tires were just going to get burned down anyways.

I tell ya though... the day that tire finally popped I was so happy. It was liek christmas 2 brand new Primex tires :D

lol...if anybody´s making fun of your smooth tires just tell them that they´re the best Italian tires money can buy: Baldini´s?

counter

Occupation
manager
wow! i thank you all for the responses! i had no idea that a tire a that size, used in those conditions, could be re-treaded, and be worth a dime!

CatManDoes

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
hi,,,

The post was informative...:)
Some do have "drag slicks" as an option. This 980G I used to run had slicks. 90% of my day was on concrete, so there was no need for a lugged tire. In any environment with soft underfoot conditions, lugged tires are needed, even if there is not much there, it helps a lot.

reaper020

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator

man thats a big 4in1

dozerdave

Hi Guys,

Yes, slick tires wear longer than lugged tires working in shot rock and water. Wet rubber cuts easier than dry rubber. I have operated several different Wagner ST8 muckers and they all had slick tires. Also 988 loaders in shot rock.