• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Blasting bedrock for a driveway

streetffighting

Hi,

I am looking at some land to buy but it has one big problem.
A driveway needs to be put in place thru long and high bedrock.
I was wondering if anyone would know a approximate cost from my explanation.
I know these approximates can be way off but I'm just wondering if it is worth the hassle.
I am very curious about this and may try and get a quote from a contractor.

Basically the bedrock is 50ft high from the road to the level part of the land.
The drive way needs to be about 20 ft wide and I believe the driveway will be 500ft long.
The driveway needs two and half switch backs.

I am told that this rock needs to be blasted.

any info would be very much appreciated

thank you

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums street fighting!:drinkup

It's impossible to give a number that isn't just a best guess without looking at or having a set of plans. My $.02 is that it will be a hassle and it will be a very expensive hassle.

hetkind

50 x 500 x 20/27 equals cubic rock in yards or 18500 yards of rock, assuming 10/yard to blast and haul, almost 200k. Time to find a second option. Is there a secondary market for the rock, say as fill or gravel?

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
Do you have any pictures of the site and the terrain, anything that shows the area and rock slopes? What type of rock is it? Any neighbors, how close? What are you going to do with the broken rock, a thumb nail estimate is 20,000 cy in place is about 35,000 cy broken.

I can do a blasting estimate for you if you can give me a little more information.

check

I don't know anything about blasting but I have a 2 mile rocky driveway. Luckily most of it was built before I bought this place. Over the years, I made some observations about steep mountain roads.
When you have a road that goes through rocky areas, there will usually also be some areas where it isn't rocky. When you do your layout, use an inclinometer, you can get them on ebay pretty cheap.
Bear in mind that every dozer or grader that works on that road will be pushing finer material to the rocky areas. What happens then, if you haven't planned for it, is that the road doesn't make steady grade and the areas of fine material will be dips. So mark the rocky areas to be originally cut lower so that when you push the fines into it the grade will match the rest of the driveway.
Also, try to locate your switchbacks at finger ridges so you can make a wide swing. If you locate one in a rim you will be stuck there for days moving dirt. Do not try to make grade in the swicthbacks. Leave them pretty level and you won't regret it.

Fortunately this area has few rocky outcroppings and it's mostly decomposed shale and fractured bedrock. Bigger dozers and excavators can get through the fractured bedrock with a little work.

Sometimes you can get a real sweet deal on land that has "buyer fears" about access.

Last edited:

streetffighting

what are these.jpg
What are these? there are a bunch of them to the left of the power pole....

With all the great reply's and help I thought I show you guys what is going on.

So I've done some digging around and posted several pictures. I need to explain that I am a beginner at this.
I'd like to buy this piece of land. It is flat up there. There is really no other parcels of land like this in the area
in terms of the amount of land ( 5 acres) how flat it is for the price, its on front of government forested land, and its very private.
The area is close to the city and there is really no other rural area like this so eventually, I believe, it will be sold but not anytime soon.
The only problem is getting a driveway up to the top and that I've never taken a project on like this.

The last picture shows the property lines. The right property line is just on the right side of the cut out by say 10 to 20 feet
and goes back parallel to the rock cut out u can see.
The left property line starts to the left side of the power pole and goes diagonally up and left say 70 ft before going back parallel with the right property line.

My initial driveway measurements are way off. It is not going to be 500 ft long. The driveway needs to be at a .12 gradient.
I think the driveway will need at least two switchbacks. The cliff that has been cut is about 40 ft. And I believe it needs to be at
least 20 ft wide to allow a firetruck up so that I can insure the house that would be built.

What I have found out so far.
The developer of the land was going to put in a driveway but the rock was not blasting horizontally properly. It was fragmenting vertically.
So the developer stopped and wanted to push this project onto the purchaser. The drilling and blasting company that made the initial road
up to all of these lots says that this initial driveway was cut too low and it should have more of a grade. Since this drilling company did the road work
several years ago, he remembered the site and over the phone he was think about 50, 000 Canadian would make a driveway. It could have some more costs.

I would need two geo technical reports from what I am aware of now and the minimum price from one company is 15,000. 3000 for an initial report and then 10 000
for an actual lane way survey and cutout that the blasting company would use to make a drive way.
When you look at the last two pictures I wonder why they would not have made the cut of the driveway going left behind the power pole and then make a switchback
going to the right and up.

And then there is the actual driveway formation (say drainage and gravel) that I have not gotten a quote for.

The other problem with this property is that there is no access to the top of the land.
I would need a condition that I can use the property on the right, that is for sale, to allow different companies
access to the top of the land with their heavy equipment (excavator, drilling machines, etc.).

I need to talk to the planning department of the city to find out what they want in terms of permits, geo reports, and specification.
I need to make a bidding process for drilling and blasting companies to give me an approximate quote without having a specific geo tech report for them,
I need to get more geo tech company quotes as to who is the cheapest but I am leaning towards one who specializes in rock blasting excavation.

And I think I would need to excavate and prepare that area above first before the drilling and blasting takes place. And so some of those trees
look to have value and I may need to hire a tree falling company first to clear the area and get back some money from the trees.

This is all kinda overwhelming but I usually find out info over 3 days and take a few days off of thinking about it but it is something I want to do.
It does look like it can happen but there are still many unknowns especially in prices as I don't have a geo tech laneway reort to show the blasting companies.

I really like going up there and walking about. Where as I am noticing that living in a condo box
is making me miserable, especially in my body. I am learning lots, its great.

streetffightingman

Landworks

Occupation
Owner/CEO
They sure didn't do you any favors cutting the main road that deep. My .02, unless this is very valuable property from an investment standpoint, you will never come out ahead constructing a road for residential use. I would say you are going to be in the 250k+ range to get a road in there but thats a wild guess. We build roads into hillsides in Tennessee here and deal with alot of limestone. Maybe cheaper to buy the land next door and use it for access? The anchors you posted the pics of are to keep a rockfall from snapping a powerpole. Good luck!