• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BOBCAT 328 hydraulic flashing pump sign & beeping at me

msllc

This (2004 BOBCAT 328) thing beeps at me as soon as I turn the key on. I checked for the codes available, showed "12-22". Seems to be auxiliary hydraulic related. If I can get it to work right, I might be looking to add a hydraulic thumb on it. It still works great, but I'd like to get this issue sorted out ASAP. I have been thinking of selling it. Any help would be appreciated.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That code indicates the thumb switch that controls the auxiliary hydraulics on the right joystick is messed up. Could be a problem in the wiring, could be a faulty switch. No real way to test it because it's a PWM switch, but it is common that they go bad and simply need replacing. Bad part is you can't get just the switch, have to purchase the joystick handle assembly.

msllc

Do you happen to know off hand how much the handle costs? How does a PWM switch work differently than a normal / typical switch??

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know what the cost of the handle unit is off hand, a quick call to Bobcat could tell you. As for the switch, it's not so much the switch as it is the circuit. Although the switch is nothing more than a typical potentiometer switch, I don't know what its ohm values are and Bobcat doesn't tell and it works via three wires, a reference voltage from the main controller, a feedback signal to the main controller, and a ground signal to the main controller, all three of these wires are connected to the main controller and it monitors the signal to and from the switch, even if you haven't activated the auxiliary circuit. If there's something not right about the voltage/resistance values on those three wires the main controller will sound the alarm and prevent the auxiliary circuit from operating. Again, Bobcat doesn't tell us what all these values are. Now it's possible a Bobcat tech could plug his laptop into the test port and get more accurate information, pinpoint the problem, but again, that's proprietary Bobcat tech stuff, but it's an option you may consider inquiring about, be worth the money to diagnose and pinpoint the problem if it's possible.

msllc

I understand better now. I plan on opening the panels to inspect the wiring. Past that, I will call the dealer to inquire about new part cost. Thanks Willie59 for the info.

melli

I don't know what the cost of the handle unit is off hand, a quick call to Bobcat could tell you. As for the switch, it's not so much the switch as it is the circuit. Although the switch is nothing more than a typical potentiometer switch, I don't know what its ohm values are and Bobcat doesn't tell and it works via three wires, a reference voltage from the main controller, a feedback signal to the main controller, and a ground signal to the main controller, all three of these wires are connected to the main controller and it monitors the signal to and from the switch, even if you haven't activated the auxiliary circuit. If there's something not right about the voltage/resistance values on those three wires the main controller will sound the alarm and prevent the auxiliary circuit from operating. Again, Bobcat doesn't tell us what all these values are. Now it's possible a Bobcat tech could plug his laptop into the test port and get more accurate information, pinpoint the problem, but again, that's proprietary Bobcat tech stuff, but it's an option you may consider inquiring about, be worth the money to diagnose and pinpoint the problem if it's possible.

Willie - For future reference, do you know where the main controller is?
I've ripped off the right control to clean and was just curious, plus I took off gauge panel to see what was behind there...not a lot.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, in all honesty, I haven't run across a problem with the main controller on one of those, haven't had a need to locate it thus far, crewchief888 could confirm where it's located.

Last edited:

crewchief888

Well, in all honesty, I haven't run across a problem with the main controller on one of those, haven't had a need to locate it thus far, crewchief888 could confirm where it's located.

the controller is the panel in the RH dash.
if you have a bad panel, it's not something you can "make work" on your own.
you can buy the panel and install it, but it needs to be programmed with bobcat's service software.

i'd be willing to get the problem is in the handle itself. i've changed a couple of them recently, about an hr labor, no idea on parts pricing.

:drinkup

melli

the controller is the panel in the RH dash.
if you have a bad panel, it's not something you can "make work" on your own.
you can buy the panel and install it, but it needs to be programmed with bobcat's service software.

i'd be willing to get the problem is in the handle itself. i've changed a couple of them recently, about an hr labor, no idea on parts pricing.

Does this include for BC without keypad dash? I vaguely recall that when I pulled my dash, there was nothing extra behind there...just the wiring for the gauges (2003 - 331). My Bobby has no brain....lol

crewchief888

Does this include for BC without keypad dash? I vaguely recall that when I pulled my dash, there was nothing extra behind there...just the wiring for the gauges (2003 - 331). My Bobby has no brain....lol

the panel with the guages with all the harnesses plugged into it is the controller.

there are different panels for keyed and keyless machines.

melli

the panel with the guages with all the harnesses plugged into it is the controller.

there are different panels for keyed and keyless machines.

Thanks...wish I had taken better pics...I guess whatever the harnesses plug into is the brain...guess I should avoid hosing the panel them...lol
2013-03-24 17.57.52.jpg