• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 553 drive motor problems

ITW

Hi
My bobcat 553 had sized bearings in the drive motor and it stopped working.
Now I've changed the bearings but the drive motor is really weak.
It can turn the wheels if they are up in the air but on the ground it didn't have enough power to drive them.

The other thing is i can turn the wheels by hand when they are up in the air can't remember that was normal

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Did you check the rest of the motor for other damage like scratches on the lens plate, worn slippers and pistons etc?

ITW

I couldn't see any wear on the rollers or the stuff around it.
No scratches or discoloration on them.

That's the weird part that nothing stod out like this is the problem...

Welder Dave

It seems likely that what caused the bearings to seize is also what caused the motor to be weak and/or be able to turn by hand. Motor probably needs to be stripped down and internals inspected and measured by a qualified hyd. tech. I was told that usually when you have leaking or other motor problems, it's most likely due to internal damage that may or may not be related. IE/ replacing seals won't correct the reason they were leaking. My machine is a little bigger but just to disassemble the motor and inspect it would cost $285.00. Must be a lot more involved than just taking it apart. I replaced the motor since it's very rare to just need new seals and the motor on the other side had been replaced previously after inspection showed it was not worth repairing.

ITW

Yes I'm guessing is worn out..
I had it in atoms for changing the bearings but can't see anything wrong but i don't have an drawing or specifications for the engine so can't measure anything.
I live in Norway and skid steers are not many of here so parts are a almost impossible to come by.

I've sendt av request for a new engine from USA so waiting reply if they ship here.
New engine was like $1200 so it might be worth it on the old machine.