• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 753 - Pulled engine, fixing leaks and fan drive.

colson04

Well, it's been over a year since I drove it in, and this garage queen still consumes a good portion of my shop. After the brief period in August that I had to work on this, it took a backseat again and sat through harvest and winter untouched. I have a 3 day gap between the job I finished, and one I'm starting on Monday, so this machine is taking precedent. I need the garage space back. I got back to it this afternoon for a couple hours
20240307_180228.jpg

colson04

This one needs to move out ASAP as I have to pull the engine from my truck. 2008 Ford F350 V10. Seized a camshaft in the passenger head. Truck isn't worth a reman engine, so I'm going to take a peak at the internals of this one to see if it is salvageable. If not, I'm also looking for a used, 3 valve V10 engine to just swap with. Unfortunately, there aren't many out there. Most are the 2 valve engines. Drive old trucks, get to deal with old truck problems.

A close friend is trying to convince me to put a 12 valve cummins in it, but it would cost more to do that conversion than the truck is worth when it's done.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Drive old trucks, get to deal with old truck problems.

I feel your pain, but I roll older than that. My daily driver is an '85 F150 with a 300 Six. I've neutered what little computer control it had with OBD1, no MAP sensor, no EGR, no TPS, computer controlled dizzy has been swapped to Duraspark ignition, plain Jane Carter YFA 1bbl carb. Pretty much made it an old school engine, and it runs like a sewing machine. No amount of incentive would have me upgrade to a newer model truck, I'll drive this old bullnose to my grave.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I feel ya Willie. Live out of a service truck and only personal vehicle is a 1986 F350 with a (now turbo) 6.9idi and swapped to 5 speed. Bought for under $1800 and it will outlive me.

Now if only I'd get off my ass and reinstall the AC system after 10+ years without...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
OMG, I used to drive an '86 F350 with a 6.9 cornbinder engine when I worked for a drilling company. Gutless, but like the 300 will run forever! I imagine with a turbo and 5 sp it's a totally different engine, never experienced that pleasure.

Welder Dave

The wait will be worth it. It took a couple years to fix my backhoe when the top swing pivot ripped off. I bought a welder and had to figure out a plan for repairing it. It didn't help that I had to do it all outside. I was so relieved it fit back together and the pins went in.

crane operator

Ford 7.3 in a f250 with 190,000miles on it for $11,000, or a f-450 with 7.3 flatbed and a tommy gate for
$8,000. Its got 250k miles. Working or riding in style- take your pick! Either one probably has another 100000 miles in it.

Attachments

• ford 7.3 1.jpg
    ford 7.3 1.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 7
  • f450 7.3.jpg
    f450 7.3.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 7

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just praying I do not get sideways on the 99, need it done and the shop cleaned out. Have put off overhaul on that old Allis 180 for six going on seven years and is showing will not do another one.

Should have had the Ford done seven years ago maybe eight, likely could have sectioned rockers and corners then and repaired doors with patch skins. Or traded it and not be here now.

colson04

Ford 7.3 in a f250 with 190,000miles on it for $11,000, or a f-450 with 7.3 flatbed and a tommy gate for
$8,000. Its got 250k miles. Working or riding in style- take your pick! Either one probably has another 100000 miles in it.
I've been looking at trucks all over the rust free zone the last couple weeks, mostly as I broadened my search for an engine. The more I look, the less I want to buy just an engine, but instead just swap out trucks completely. My wife is pushing for me to change trucks and get a crew cab so there's more room for the kids. I keep saying we have an Expedition for that reason, and an extended cab is plenty because an 8ft bed is a bigger priority.

colson04

I feel your pain, but I roll older than that. My daily driver is an '85 F150 with a 300 Six. I've neutered what little computer control it had with OBD1, no MAP sensor, no EGR, no TPS, computer controlled dizzy has been swapped to Duraspark ignition, plain Jane Carter YFA 1bbl carb. Pretty much made it an old school engine, and it runs like a sewing machine. No amount of incentive would have me upgrade to a newer model truck, I'll drive this old bullnose to my grave.
My first truck was an 86 F150 with the EFI 302 and a 4 speed 4x4. That truck had more rust than paint and the seat belts were all for show as there was nothing left of the bottom of the cab for the belts to mount too. But it had one heck of a loud stereo! Ths 302 ran very smooth, never hesitated to start, and had plenty of power for a wet behind the ears 16 year old. My buddies called it the Grandpa Truck because it was slow and I got passed by everyone. I bought it off a guy my dad knew for $200 with money I earned myself. I wasn't upset at all when I sold it and upgraded later on.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Made the mistake of not buying diesel in 97 when bought a F250 ext cab with a 351. 10- 11 mpg any way tried to drive it and our 91 Exploder 4.0 towed the same loads better than it at better economy, Gutless. Pretty truck black with red side panels, was already showing blisters in rear cab corners at 2 years when traded to this 99.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I've been looking at trucks all over the rust free zone the last couple weeks, mostly as I broadened my search for an engine. The more I look, the less I want to buy just an engine, but instead just swap out trucks completely. My wife is pushing for me to change trucks and get a crew cab so there's more room for the kids. I keep saying we have an Expedition for that reason, and an extended cab is plenty because an 8ft bed is a bigger priority.

My kids have pretty much outgrown an extended cab. I hate a crew cab but love the kids, so here we are, crew cab/short box Ford. Between the cab and the salt spreader I can't see a thing behind my shoulders at 2am . . .