• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 863 headgasket query!!!!

BruceJ

I have heard/read that the Deutz motor in the 863 has a head gasket weakness!!! Im just diagnosing what seems to be the headgasket blown, on my 863. Question being, has anyone had any success with high tensile bolts or other to remedy the issue????

Rayhat

Sorry Bruce haven't blown my head gasket or run into any one who has.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
yes they are known for that yes you can replace it without pulling the motor yes there are parts available now on the left side as you open the tail gate o the backside of the engine where the head and block meet there is going to to be 1 2 or 3 notches on the head gasket easiest way to see them is to use a light and mirror and look at it they will look like small triangle taken out of the gasket on the edge that will tell you what gasket to get as their are 3 diffrent ones second pull the intake box muffler and valve cover off then remove the rocker arms and push rods pull the pressure side turbo oil line off a 17mm socket on the turbo and back of the block there will be 2 copper orings on both bolts one on the front and back of the line do not loose these second pull all head bolts out they are a stretch torque bolt so its pretty much like arp head studs also you will need a set of internal torques before you even get started a master set will get you by after removing all the bolts and pushrods and disconnecting and removing the alt break the head gasket bond to the block and pull the head up be careful of the return line on the back of the engine still hooked to the turbo leave it connected replace the o ringg on the turbo clean up put the head gack on make sure you line up the return line and get it back in the tube good and dont tear the o ring put the head bolt threads in a little oil along with the head of the bolt step up the torque from 30 to 60 to 100 to 118 then put away the torque wrench and get out the half in drive ratchet with a long handle and go another 90 degrees on the bolts thats all you have to do their no retorqueing required then install the push rods and tighten the rocker arms down to 15 ft lbs then adjust valves .012 intake .020 exahust put valve cover on turbo line back on and muffler intake box start it and change the oil good to go

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
We did one on our 873 a while ago, same engine... Ours started making tons of whitish smoke, we thought at first it was a bad turbo but the turbo was fine... You will need an E10 I believe Torx driver for the head bolts. We didn't know which gasket we had so the dealer sent all 3 and said just send the 2 that you don't use back... I think the replacement gaskets they sent were upgraded ones that supposedly adress the problems the old ones were having... The biggest issues were hooking all the lines on the back side of the engine back up, they're a pain to get to but manageable. Hope this helps.

BAREIN

I did my old 873 myself, Everyone above pretty much explained it, the only place that I could find the large torx at the time was companys like Snap On and Mac. IF you let the gasket go to long the motor can run and over rev even if you shut the key off, so be carefull if its real bad.