• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat before 1958

Ron Light

Let me say first, that I'm not 100% sure of the facts;) but looking at Bobcat.com they state the history starting in 1958 with the purchase of rights. (a few tidbits not covered?)

Quality Equipment co. Austin (I'm surprised at no real website:confused:, but then not really:rolleyes:) has, or had in their possession a swivel unit (#357 or very early) I'm pretty sure it predated 1958, and maybe 1957. The rear wheel was a dual wheel swivel unit, so not a true skid steer.

I had hoped to find a website by them, that might have a picture of it, think I might still have a 5X7 glossy, if I can locate I'll do the digital thing and try to learn how to post a picture.:)

Being a new member I'll try soon to introduce myself proper. this is a great website:D

Thanks

Ron

Yellowdog

Hi Ron,

Quality in San Antonio has the unit on display. QEC doesn't have a website. They are very low tech but have the best service in the industry! I know the service manager up there and the service manager in San Antonio. They can probably get you a pic iif you can't locate yours or maybe I snag one when I am down there. Last time I saw it, it was full of dust and sitting in a corner. It was yellow and red I think.

Ron Light

Hi Ron,

Quality in San Antonio has the unit on display. QEC doesn't have a website. They are very low tech but have the best service in the industry! I know the service manager up there and the service manager in San Antonio. They can probably get you a pic iif you can't locate yours or maybe I snag one when I am down there. Last time I saw it, it was full of dust and sitting in a corner. It was yellow and red I think.

Yes! your right on the colors.
I don't get in to see them very often, I have a 1972 model 720 that I aquired in 1986 when I quit working for them. Paid $3,500. added 4 tires, and rebuilt the eng. one time, and a few hoses. It looks so rough no one would think it worth stealing, (best insurance you can have:D) they are a good group to deal with:drinkup.

Tri-Star

I think bobcat of knoxville has the one you are talking about in there showroom! Not sure if its the same year but very close!

Tri-Star

yep I was right bobcat of knoxville has a M400 in there showroom! Just incase any one wanted to see it in person

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
I just purchased a china built skid steer. A Racoon HT-65, I love it. It has all the good features of Case , Bobcats, and The cats. It is powered by a 65 HP Perkins. They have been building them sence Dec. 2007, and exporting all over the world. However they didn't catch on in the U.S.A. for reasons unknown. Most likley parts and service availability. But so far I am happy with the unit.

TALLRICK

I just purchased a china built skid steer. A Racoon HT-65, I love it. It has all the good features of Case , Bobcats, and The cats. It is powered by a 65 HP Perkins. They have been building them sence Dec. 2007, and exporting all over the world. However they didn't catch on in the U.S.A. for reasons unknown. Most likely parts and service availability. But so far I am happy with the unit.

Few would take a chance on an off-brand unless it was a lot cheaper. It will be interesting to see what kind of performance you get from your loader. Once I saw a Chinese loader with a copied Kubota engine, branded as CAISE! Amazing that an American invention, the skid steer loader, is copied worldwide.

smokey1

Occupation
Builder/Owner
It was a must buy price,machine had only 72 hrs on it, and very well put together, full set of options. It performs very well. only negitive I have is veiw from the cab is not the greatest, and getting to the service points are a bit difficult. The documentation is also a bit hard to obtain in english. I have not used it enough yet, to determine if I would put it to work on a daily basis, and depend on it for income.I have had many different models, and makes of skid steers thru the years, and this machine has many of the functions and parts from the other big manufactures in the U.S.A. China will also be a threat down the road to the BIG machine line and I beleive CAT is aware of this and becomeing very freindly with china (just my opinion) Smokey