• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat e20 blade dropping

Verdone

Hello,

I bought a second hand bobcat e20 from 2015 with 1200 hours on it, it just had a maintenance done by the previous owner. I got a invoice with it as proof.
What i seem to be having is the front blade keeps drooping down, it doesnt want too hold. It can lift the machine or it will go up so i can drive but it starts drooping immediatly.
What could be the culprit?
For the rest the machine seems to be behaving as it should be, except maybe one track is a tiny tiny bit faster then the other track but i cant be 100% sure because i havent done much driving with it and it was all muddy here.

Thx,

Philippe

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
If you have a hydraulic schematic we may be able to spot the cause, there are a few components including the central joint that may be giving a possible leakage point. Plugging the negative side of the cylinder will tell if this is at fault.
Kind regards
Uffex

Verdone

Hello, the only thing i have found is this pdf for sale?

***************************/bobcat/bobcat-e20-excavator-repair-service-manual/

Is it any good? If soo i'll buy it unless someone knows a free version?

Thx,

Philippe

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Phillippe
I can access a E19 schematic but I am not sure if it is the same.
Kind regards
Uffex

Verdone

Hey uffex,

I asked in the service manual thread, if they dont have one i will just buy the one in the link. I plan on keeping the machine for a while since i have a load of work on the property we bought.

I will keep you up to date once i have the schematics!

Thx!

Philippe

Gary Layton

This may not apoply to your Bobcat. My Takeuchi 370B has a blade with a "float" function. When "float" is engaged the blade will not stay up...it floats with the contour of the land being traversed. When "float" is not selected, the blade stays where you put it. Maybe you unknowingly hit a button engaging a float feature?

Verdone

Hey gary, i looked in the manual and mine isnt equipped with it. Good suggestion though because it is a function you can have on this bobcat.

Thx,

Philippe

Bibendum

Occupation
Millwright
Typically this is due to a bypassing swivel joint, but it should be confirmed before you actually tear it apart. There are different ways of testing it of course, but in the past ive hooked a portapower to the supply line feeding the side of the cylinder that is losing fluid / the direction of drift.

Build pressure to about 3000psi, and monitor the gauge to see how long it takes to bleed off pressure. If pressure begins to drop quickly, confirm all fittings in that side of the circuit are holding. If you've found no fittings leaking, exhaust the portapower. Unhook the corresponding fitting on the top of the swivel joint (in your case, the letter will be stamped on the cap) and plug it. Build pressure again. If pressure is maintained, this indicates the valve is at fault. If it bleeds down once again, and all fittings are holding, this indicates a seal in the joint is compromised and the joint should be replaced.

If from the get go you don't lose pressure, it is possibly a bad blade cylinder and that should be tested.

I troubleshoot industrial pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical equipment for a living. One thing i've learned is that its very important to be methodical and never jump to conclusions.

Verdone

Hi bibendum,

Thank you for the extensive reply, i will have to buy a portapower with gauge to test it out. This is all new for me! Would i be damaging anything beyond repair with running it as it is, since i dont have a dry place to work on it yet.

Thx,

Philippe

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Please see attached.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• E19 BladeTrackValve.pdf
    712.8 KB · Views: 12

Bibendum

Occupation
Millwright
Hi bibendum,

Thank you for the extensive reply, i will have to buy a portapower with gauge to test it out. This is all new for me! Would i be damaging anything beyond repair with running it as it is, since i dont have a dry place to work on it yet.

Thx,

Philippe

You should'nt have an issue, aside from what you've described if that is the fault. If you do start tearing things apart, make sure to keep things clean. Normally the cavity in the track frame where the swivel joint is located is packed full of dirt, which you don't want entering your hydraulic system. On the small machines they are often hard to access as well, kind of have to stand on your head to get at it.

If youve no hydraulic experience at all, keep in mind youll need to plug lines to keep fluid from draining back from tank.

The other way you can test it is to cap the line with a gauge and see how long it takes to bleed off. I prefer to use a portapower as you dont need to run the machine, and theres less of a chance to have fluid blow everywhere. But that would save you from purchasing a tool, if you dont have any other use for it.

Verdone

Hi Bibendum,

I have 0 experience with hydraulics but i am not afraid to work with my hands, i am a plumber by trade.
I will do these tests when i can put the excavator in a dry place and then come back to this thread!
Thx for the help!

Philippe

Verdone

I was cleaning the cab today and took the seat out cause i need to fit a new seatbelt and i found this key that fits on a valve they put on the blade.. which isnt factory according to me?

valve.jpg

Bibendum

Occupation
Millwright
No sir youd see it in the prints. Could be any number of reasons they chose to fit that to the machine

Verdone

If i close that valve the blade will stay up. The previous owner gave me the last maintenance bill and now i see they knew about the blade drooping.. So they put that valve on which doesnt fix a goddamn thing who the hell getts out of his cab to close the valve everytime.. but the previous owner didnt tell me about it either.. I didnt notice it when buying it and the maintenance bill i got after i paid for the excavator.. Ive send him a mail i am not very pleased by the situation as rebuilding the cylinder or the swivel joint is going to cost me time and money and i payed for a fully working excavator and not one with an issue they knew..

You know ive bought alot of 2ndhand stuff and **** goes wrong but ive never had people hiding it..

Anyways enough of the rant i will have to get it fixed anyway :)