• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat oil

moosefd

Hi I have a 763 bobcat and I was wondering what hydralic oil to use. Also is there a way to check oil in chain cases. Thanks in advace Carl

LWG

Bobcat has its own hydraulic fluid. There is an additive which Bobcat contends is beneficial. The cost is not way out of line with other options, so that's what I use. I've read where people use 10 w 30 oil, straight 30 w oil, or generic hydraulic oil.

Last edited:

DrJim

Occupation
General Dentist, including Implant Restorations
Moosefd, I'll jump in here so maybe somebody else will correct me :) I think you'll find a plug, maybe a pipe-type plug but perhaps with an internal hex or sq drive on the front of the Bobcat. This one is the chain-case level check (and somebody help? Is this the fill hole, too? It'll work for that. . . )

The issue with the chaincases reportedly is water. There are various ways to check for this. After running the machine--not just the motor, but lots of movement so that the chains agitate the oil--pull that level-check-fill plug and stick a clear vinyl hose in and syphon out some oil. If it's milky . . . you've got water, and should drain the chain case and re-fill it. If you don't agitate the oil by driving the machine, the oil might look clear.

There should be a small access cover under the bottom of the skid plate. Most Bobcats have (2) drain plugs there--one for the fuel tank and one for the chain case. Typically the plug in the steel tank is the chain case; the one in the plastic tank is the fuel drain.

Buy a new seal or seal and plug for the chain case drain if you drain it.

Something else I've learned from guys on this forum: If the Bobcat has spent much time outside, water can get in from the top of the chaincase, in front of and under the seat, between the operator's legs. Water can apparently can make the chaincase appear full or overfilled. If it's oily around that gasket, water can get in, too. My top gasket needs changing, so I'm gonna pull the cover and sample the oil (?water) in the bottom of the chaincase from that vantage point.

Hope this helps a little. Some other guys and gals here know more than me, so we'll watch for other posts.

mikeandpebble1

Occupation
disabled
i have a 753 and it has a plug to check the chaincase on the front down low below operator entrance it takes a 1/2 drive rachet it is also the fill hole according to service manual service manual also says if bobcat fluid is not available you can use 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil it is the same oil that is used in hyd system if you have water in the chaincase check the top covers you may need to reseal the covers .

gpap123

Occupation
Civil Engineer - Contructor
I use the Bobcat hydraulic because it can be used from -35 C degrees up to +40 C and we have a big issue here in my town with low temperatures in winter and high in summer. Furthermore it's got a good price, it costs about 6 euros at a litre. I hope that helps!

crewchief888

Bobcat has its own hydraulic fluid. There is an additive which Bobcat contends is beneficial. The cost is not way out of line with other options, so that's what I use. I've read where people use 10 w 30 oil, straight 30 w oil, or generic hydraulic oil.

bobcat no longer recommends engine oil for use in the hyd/hydrostatic systems.
generic "tractor fluid" is also not recomended in hyd systems. :badidea

'spose you could use them in the chaincase, a complete refill of a dry chaincase will take 10-12 gallons.
remove the pipe plug at the front of the chaincase, if you can reach oil with your finger, you're good to go. :thumbsup

:drinkup