• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought another grader 12G

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
You might want to try Rays Used Equipment, in Nocona, Tx. Phone numbers listed on their website. I bought a lot of used parts there back in the 90's.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Looks in beautiful condition, you can see where they spruced up the rims with spray paint, Is that a 12 ft blade or 14ft, can't really tell from the pics

Welder Dave

I'd say the whole machine was painted and they didn't cover the tires well enough. Unless the machine sat inside its entire life there's no way it could look almost new.

Razorsedge2003

Yes this previous owner sandblasted and painted with intentions of replacing the tires. Now I get to! Haha. It was on an asphalt prep crew the last 6 years and construction before so I don’t believe it has been in much road salt. 12’ blade.

Razorsedge2003

It should work good for the few limestone roads and still be narrow enough for most private roads . The Galion 503 shines on the smaller ones.

JAJ

Occupation
Owner operator of small fleet
Hey looks very nice!!! I have a 12G as well and your making me jealous with the fresh new paint.
What size are the big tyres? I have 14.00-24" on mine but yours are heaps wider, they looked like 17.5-25" perhaps? I have never seen those on a 12G where I am... very curious.
Front scarifier setups seem pretty rare here, most have rear mounted ripper/scarifier or some have the mid-mount scarifier. Does the front mount have benifits over the other setups or are they just more common/easier to find where you are?

JAJ

Occupation
I think the tires are wider than 17.5's.
Yeah they look wider again… wasn’t sure if it was just an optical illusion in the photo. I haven’t seen anything that size but wider on a grader.
Curiosity got the better of me I had to ask what they were.

Welder Dave

I'm thinking the rims are special. The tires look like turf tires for a large tractor or something like a big grain cart.

JaredV

15.5R25 is the radial option. TBH I cannot understand why anyone would want anything other than wide-base rims on a grader. Makes no sense.
There is one reason: easier to move on the lowboy. The 143H I run came with 14-24s and it's just narrow enough to not be over width. I move myself and some days I'm loading up two or three times. Not having to mess with flags and signs every time is pretty nice!

JAJ

Occupation
They’re 16.5/26 tires. Just ordered two new ones. Front mount scarifier for snow plow, push blade, and it want to make an attachment to scratch ahead of the main blade.
Wow ok that’s very interesting, I bet they would be heaps better gripping then 1400-R24’s I have!
Ah ok that makes sense, we don’t have snow around me but I have been wanting a front blade for ages.

I have been going to start a thread asking about horsepower upgrades with the 12G’s for a while, seeing your post has reminded me I need to do it.

Welder Dave

I think tire tread pattern and profile would affect traction more than just being wider. The wider rounder tires might use less inflation pressure. The rear tires on the OP's grader look to have worn to a flatter profile than the rounder fronts.

JAJ

Occupation
There is one reason: easier to move on the lowboy. The 143H I run came with 14-24s and it's just narrow enough to not be over width. I move myself and some days I'm loading up two or three times. Not having to mess with flags and signs every time is pretty nice!
That’s a good point. I got to drive a 140H on a job a while ago for a few hours and it had 1400-24 bias type (non radial) and a 14ft blade. I was using it to build banks and it seem to just start spinning and not bog down at all when trying to push lots of dirt. I wondered how it would go with water filled radial tyres to get a bit more traction.
How do you go for traction?
I have a roller that clips in the rippers on my grader and adds nearly 2tonns counter weight but when I need the rippers I loose the weight.
I haven’t got to have a go at the 143H’s but I think they would be awesome for the work I’m doing at the moment.

Anyway I don’t want to hi-jack the Op’s thread to much