• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brakes

Northart

Grader Brakes ?

Hi John C.

Good to see you, thanks for the reply.

So what activates the Warning Light and Air Horn ? A sensor, and is that adjustable or preset at the factory?

Must be electrical as there is a fuse in the console panel .

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Trucks are not graders and graders are not trucks. You guy are talking apples and oranges.

I have no experience in graders so I can't comment on that part. What I was commenting on was this part of Northart's post:

I do know, in the morning, when starting up, no brakes are released till you have 90 psi. And this covers all equipment, air brake systems. Trucks included.
Here in cold weather, when airlines start icing up, they lock up the brakes, when psi drops below 90. Dump trucks, belly dumps , loaders, graders , that come to mind immediately.
Are the trucks the apples or oranges?

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
This week, I did a test on the 143H, APN 3## I run, which cuts out at around 140 or 150 psi. Fanning the brake pedal with the parking brake off, the warning buzzer and flashing light came on at around 90 psi, and the grader still rolled freely at 20 psi. I couldn't get it any lower than 20 since the compressor built air as fast as I could lose it at that pressure.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hi Northart,
There is usually a pressure switch mounted on the service brake tank that activates the alarm. It is not adjustable.

Most of the horns on graders now days are electric.

How's the weather up north?

Northart

Alaska Weather

Hello John C,

The mechanic and I didn't have much time to look for the warning light switch and air horn alarm switch. The switches that activate them.

We just were interested in getting the frayed hose replaced and back into business. In the middle of the dirt spread and planes flying overhead. :) LOL :drinkup

Now trying to reconstruct the repair 3 months and 500 miles away, wish I had the service manuals for the grader, now that I have all the time to read. LOL .

Anyway, the Cat 14H grader sure give good service. 3 hrs down time for the entire summer, over 1000 hrs . I had a Global Model, vs the USA model. Slight differences . Standard engine driven Fan and radiator, vs the hyd motor driven fan. A electric hydraulic prelube for the hyd pump. looked like a starter. Ran for 10 seconds, before engine. turned over. .

The weather sure has been on the goofy side here.

Rained most of November, then snowed, then rained, then got cold finally here in December. Was -20F most of this last week, now warmed up to +15F for the last several days.

Got about 12"- 16" snow here. Elsewhere they have nothing. Snowmachiners aren't happy . Rivers are still open.

Global warming is a real thing far as I'm concerned. The weather patterns just are not normal.