• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brand new Kubota SVL65-2...can't keep the engine running

NoobAsNoobGets

I have no experience with construction equipment other than renting a mini ex three times and the 28 hours I've put on this mini track loader.

Somewhere around 15 hours or so, on occasion, I'd start it and it would die about five seconds later. Then I'd start again and no issues so I didn't think too much about it. Then around 20 hours it started to happen a bit more. Then at around 26 or 27 hours it would not start. So I kept the key in the on position and let it wait for a minute to bleed any air that might be in the fuel lines, and it would start. But it would only run for a minute or so and then die. That then became not starting and I have to let air bleed (not sure if that's an issue or not) for a 3 minute period before it would start. At around 27 hours when trying to start it I began to get the DPF light for the first time. Mind you during all of this there have been absolutely not error codes or error lights. The DPF will not complete a cycle though as the engine won't continue to run long enough.

I checked for water in the fuel and the fuel is fine and no water is shown and none drains out. Checked the air filter and it's clean.

I have no idea why this machine is acting this way and not giving me error codes. Any thoughts?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You might get more input if the mods can put this in the right place. I am not sure the mini skid steer column gets a lot of attention.

NoobAsNoobGets

Apologies if I put it in this wrong forum. Will call Kubota to see if they can send somebody out, but didn't want to overlook something easy I may have messed up. Bought this thing because we heard Kubota was bulletproof. Of course with my extremely limited experience it may well be something I did. But I read the manual and there aren't any error codes so I'm at a loss.

heymccall

On my SVL75 & SVL75-2, there is no filler neck strainer. If you leave your fuel nozzle laying in the bed of a dirty landscaper's truck, and then use that dirty nozzle to fuel up, that debris will clog the water separator filter inlet elbow. Took 400 hrs to plug on my SVL75.
I've since placed screen over the tank inlet, under the filler neck hose.Screenshot_20190702-205840_Photos.jpg

NoobAsNoobGets

On my SVL75 & SVL75-2, there is no filler neck strainer. If you leave your fuel nozzle laying in the bed of a dirty landscaper's truck, and then use that dirty nozzle to fuel up, that debris will clog the water separator filter inlet elbow. Took 400 hrs to plug on my SVL75.
I've since placed screen over the tank inlet, under the filler neck hose.View attachment 201485

Thank you, that could certainly point to the issue. I've only filled up the machine twice since I've owned it but it was a real pain with the location of the filler. I used a funnel with a filter to fill it up but it's possible something got in there since it was much more of an effort than I was expecting to add diesel.

Sometimes it dies within 5 seconds, usually it dies after a minute or two. Then I have to let it sit with the key in run for three minutes before it will start up again.

Welder Dave

It's a brand new machine you spent tens of thousands of dollars on. It has less than 50 hours on it, CALL the dealer to come and fix it or bring you another one. You shouldn't have to do anything other than put fuel in it, grease it and turn the key. If the dealer has to come out multiple times, it's their problem not yours.

NoobAsNoobGets

It's a brand new machine you spent tens of thousands of dollars on. It has less than 50 hours on it, CALL the dealer to come and fix it or bring you another one. You shouldn't have to do anything other than put fuel in it, grease it and turn the key. If the dealer has to come out multiple times, it's their problem not yours.

Thanks Dave. We called the dealer and they have us going through some troubleshooting and if that doesn't work then we're going to ask them to come out and fix it.

We have only added fuel to it twice, we have greased it (we bought a lithium powered greaser that makes it pretty easy) and I've definitely been turning the key a lot (while not going over 10 seconds to prevent damaging the starter and battery).

Welder Dave

Don't ask, TELL THE DEALER TO COME AND FIX IT OR BRING YOU ANOTHER MACHINE PRONTO! IT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. If it was ran out of fuel or something like that, then you could try and correct it yourself. I'm sure other brands would have been happy to take your money.

NoobAsNoobGets

Don't ask, TELL THE DEALER TO COME AND FIX IT OR BRING YOU ANOTHER MACHINE PRONTO! IT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. If it was ran out of fuel or something like that, then you could try and correct it yourself. I'm sure other brands would have been happy to take your money.

I hear you loud and clear and agree completely.

Welder Dave

Well at least it sounds like it's easy on fuel when it is running. Hopefully it's something simple but if the problem persists tell them you want a different machine. You didn't pay all that money to have a dead machine holding up a job.

NoobAsNoobGets

Well at least it sounds like it's easy on fuel when it is running. Hopefully it's something simple but if the problem persists tell them you want a different machine. You didn't pay all that money to have a dead machine holding up a job.

Will do. Once I figure out the issue I'll update the thread.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would say its cheap on fuel, three tanks (assuming the dealer gave you tank when you bought it) at 50 hours. As for the no start issue, it should take about 2 min. for the dealer to be assured you haven't done something stupid and a service truck should have been enroute. It might be time to tighten up that dealer, hard to believe that is necessary within the first 50 hours of ownership.

NoobAsNoobGets

I would say its cheap on fuel, three tanks (assuming the dealer gave you tank when you bought it) at 50 hours. As for the no start issue, it should take about 2 min. for the dealer to be assured you haven't done something stupid and a service truck should have been enroute. It might be time to tighten up that dealer, hard to believe that is necessary within the first 50 hours of ownership.

I haven't asked for service yet, was hoping to fix it myself with some guidance. We're about five hour drive from our dealer and in the sticks.

We'll try our last bit of troubleshooting tomorrow and if that doesn't work we'll tell the dealer we need them to send somebody out. I'll update on how that all goes.

Welder Dave

I wouldn't care if a tech. had to charter a private jet come from Japan and you were 10,000 miles away. It's THEIR problem not yours. There are some customers that would tell the dealer to come and pick up their POS machine and give them their money back or bring another machine (that works). I'd guess the machine was over $50K. Tell them you want it fixed yesterday!!! Quit screwing around. You shouldn't have to ask them to come and fix it. They should have sent someone out within 24 hours. I would also except some free service, parts credit and/or extra filters etc. for your troubles. Sometimes you need to be hard nosed with the dealer. This is definitely one of those times. Tell the dealer you want a free loaner machine if your machine has issues that they need to take it to their shop and fix. Also a free loaner for any future problems. Let the dealer find exactly what is wrong so you don't have some recurring nightmare not knowing exactly what is causing it.

Vetech63

Keep in mind that by you doing the troubleshooting yourself, you are risking your warranty to be voided. Too many times I have seen this same scenario...…...the customer thinking he is going to fix something when a machine is under warranty, and by doing so the warranty is voided completely. Manufacturer's warranty's are VERY specific about who turns the wrenches on something they are responsible for. Don't think they wont void a warranty because of your messing with the machine......they will look to do so and leave you hanging. I suggest you stop anything you are doing/have done and call your dealer. If the dealer is asking you to check things for them, then that's just irresponsible and unprofessional.

heymccall

With my machinery, road calls travel time is NOT covered by the warranty, unless it is proven to be a manufacturing defect and the machine is not movable,
like when cellophane plugged the fuel inlet screen on my 15 hour Kobelco blade runner.

Welder Dave

The dealer had no trouble taking his money when he's 5 hours away. This a brand new machine with about 30 hours on it and doesn't sound like the owner did anything other than try to start it.