• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

breaking down roller frame 955 middle of nowhere minimal tools

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
what would be the minimal amount of tools needed to break down this rail in the middle of the desert, was thinking if i get the loader frame locked in the air i can use a 2 ton winch, main objectives are 1 missing lower roller ,broken recoil spring, buggered idler shims, idler needs building up, there,s no power there ,but i have 10,000 watt generator 3 ph, i have a small forklift i can have moved there, i thinking this will be a must have item

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hand and Minimal tools NOT gonna get it here. The use of 3/4 and 1" impacts, LARGE HEAVY wall sockets, a Gas Axe for the Death Spring, then all the blocking/cribbing to hold the machine while use another tractor as a forklift to maneuver the truck assembly hanging off chains off the machine. Get it moved to a Shop and feel better of it.

trombeur

put some photos so that we can carry out a virtual inspection and provide you with the right suggestions thanks to an image that is worth more than 1000 words.
Dommekracht_ijzer.jpg

Dommekracht_ijzer.jpg

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
bluox, i thing your just a real piece of work.all you ever do is lash out at people trying too get something done, do me a favor and do not respond too anything i post, your imput is not worth the reading, i think your a troll, by the way i drove big rigs for 33 years and have had my share of tuff times , what did you do the last 40 ,forget that i dont even care so stfu a hole

Dave Neubert

By the way the 3/4 bolts that keep the spring in place always break off please don't remove until you have cut all the coils of the spring with a torch. when replacing the spring use new bolt nut and
hardware and have a track shop compress the spring and assemble very dangerous to try to do it yourself

trombeur

translator, if you have to do a similar repair, you need strong muscles arms, steel bars to leverage like crow bars and also a lifting device and a lot of sweat and elbow grease, put the photos maybe we find an optimal solution and watch out for the fingers.
crowbar-big.jpg

022937.jpg

10061290-44xN30Ga6WlZdR.jpg
upload_2021-12-9_9-6-58.jpegupload_2021-12-9_9-7-40.jpegupload_2021-12-9_9-6-58.jpeg upload_2021-12-9_9-7-40.jpeg

trombeur

????

if you do not put the photo I do not understand the seriousness of the fault to be repaired and I do not understand how you could intervene, however if you have to replace the idler wheel track tensioner spring, it must be disassembled and taken to the workshop, to the workshop with a hydraulic press of at least 80 tons to compress it and tighten and tighten the locking nut that blocks the threaded rod, I repeat, if you do not put the photo I do not understand the extent of the damage, if you are not practical do not improvise mechanic, it is a heavy, heavy and dangerous job.

Portable-Crawler-Excavator-Maintenance-Sleeve-Machine-Press-Fitting-Tool-for-Crawler-Excavator.webp

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
trombeur, thanks for the reply, machine is 150 miles from me in the middle of mohave desert, let me try and explain. the spring is broke towards the front about 6" from adjustment point where grease gun goes on left rail. the most forward lower roller is missing its double flange, bolts are sheered off i might be able too replace with good unit but have to removed whats left of bolts, thought about retracting adjustment enough too put roller in, some how i will have to raise track on left side, also adjuster seals are blown and idler needs attention with hard facing, heavy machinery is not new to me been around it most of my life since i was around 19 y.o. so at least 40 years driving and wrenching on big rigs. got a 50 ton press, jacks and large tools,air compressors but machine is way out there 7 miles north of barstow ca, and all tools are in town. just thinking it would be easier too just remove complete rail and more or less rebuild it because all the drilling and tapping and welding that needs to be done, transport to and from site is close to 2k thanks for the vids anthony

AllDodge

Being where it is. Ox Axe the old sping to pieces. Have new spring compressed and banded. Bring new bolts, rod, nut and washer. Basically do what I did to replace mine

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna need block cribbing, Lots of it. Get tractor jacked up get the bucket on cribbing not just blocks as well at least to track height, then break rail. Get the track off the top of the truck assembly and then remove the necessary bolting while supporting the truck with as much as a old tow truck. Get that truck assembly off and head to the shop.
Still gonna need at least 3/4” impact to break all the bolts loose and compressor to run it as well if not segmented rail a pin pusher to break that rail.