• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia built logging equipment, obscure makes....

HDX

skadill NO NO NO NOT THERE No logs there just sad stories Drive or drag it away from there fast VERY FAST!!!!! This is a very unfriendly environment for such things unless of coarse they intend to yard old Maytag one lungers around with it

skadill

I know,these places have no sentiment for the beloved pieces of B.C.If a Hayes came through,they would go straight at it.At least we're all helping to build a long lasting video Museum here,that can be seen by all and no scrappers can get

lg junior

You're killing me Skadill. I've been looking for something just like that for quite a while. I even had a guy call last month wanting me to build a tube to replace his, but the price of new steel scared him off. Love the pictures anyway, even if they were hard to see through the tears.

HDX

1931 kenworth Hi Back and welcome to the site Hope to hear lots of good stories about Kenworth Trucks and stuff HDX

furpo

Ecologger

Here are two different ecologgers.

The first is parked up in Masterton. The first I knew of the machine it was owned by Dennis Glen then Tuckey Contracting. It is currently owned by FOMS. I have operated this machine previously.

The second is currently for sale in Taupo and is on a Clark base.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2,041
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,999

Glenlivet

They started out as Chapman Motor and Machine Shop, and built a lot of rock drills, etc. Later became Chapman Industries. I believe the 1800 was built using Lorain components, and I think they put together two or three as grade shovels, too. Later, they started selling Hitachi backhoes and built log loaders using Hitachi components. They were bought out by Cypress in the late 80's, they continued selling some of the Chapman machines under their own name. I have some pics here of their Drilmobile and Roc-Champ drills, but I'll have to scan them.

Reply to Page 1, Post #5

That's Hope division, Interfor's 1800 pictured in that brochure shown in the original post, and it was operated by Warren Rigby. When it was brand new (77?-78?) it came with a little mosquito spray sized can of Chapman blue touch up paint! I remember that a bunch of bigwigs from Chapman were coming to take pictures of it one day and in the hours before, Rigby was out painting up the rub marks where the counterweight had rubbed the pile. :)
All of the then Whonnock Lumber Company equipment to that time was the company green, so I had the idea that it was the aquiring of this machine they were so proud of that led the company to change colour schemes to the blue and white seen to this day in the rebadged Interfor. I don't know this, it just seemed that way at the time. (can anyone confirm or refute this?)

Interfor ran their 1800 until about 2004 by which time it was such a leaky heavy worn out old anachronism that I believe it was scrapped. It had a Jimmy that ran full bore all day and ate fuel like the Queen Mary and it traveled slow as a glacier. The expando track that Chapman was so proud of, turned out to be pretty much useless. Anything the machine couldn't swing with the track base the way it was when inboard, you had no business hanging out over the bank anyway. After the first few times climbing down and expanding the tracks, Rigby never bothered to use it and eventually they just welded a cover over the expando levers.

I have that brochure shown, found at the truck loggers convention by my buddy Drew. Though you can't see in the scanned version, it shows me in the background, filing my saw. That picture was taken up Flat Creek, Jones Lake.

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Trakloader View Sparamatics , BCFP had 1 at Port Renfrew 1 at Pit Lake 2 at Caycuse (with IJ 90 winchs ) Rayonieer had 1 at Port McNiell Percy Logging had 1 at Powell Lake might have had others in other camps as they had at lest 4 for camp when I worked for them in mid 1970s . They only had 1 Madill all there steel towers were Skajits Tyees or View Spars. Those are the ones I ran across between mid 1960s to late 1970s while supporting float plane companies.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Tahsis Co had one in Zeballos (slack line) One in Gold River (not sure if it was slack line or not) . Rayonier had one in Mahatta with Madill 009 winch

camptramp

Occupation
075 I could be wrong but I think all the 120 ft. View Spars were capable of being used for slacklining . I dont Know about the one at Pit Lake ( I only worked on it for a day I hired out to pull rigging , when I got out of the Crummy I walked out on a boom stick hanging over the edge of the landing looked straight down at the tail blocks under me and anounced I was there today but I wont be back tommarow ) it was highleading at that time . I know the one at Port Renfrew was a highlead yarder . The two at Caycuse were used as slackling towers they had the IJ90 winches on them . I remember one time that one of the Caycuse had a problem with the skidding line fairlead they brought the Caycuse unit over to the " Hiicrest Gate" on the Harris Cr. M/L and the Renfrew unit was parked along side it, the shop crew swapped towers over the weekend . As the #690 Renfrews Veiw Spar was equiped with a skidding line fairlead that had never been used.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Weldwood at Squamish

I think this is a Sparmatic hiding behind the cold deck pile. shared pic 1960's

Attachments

• Image (40) (640x456).jpg
    Image (40) (640x456).jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 1,248

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Empire Logging

Found another one, Empire Logging, Weldwood Squamish.

Attachments

• Image (27) (640x435).jpg
    Image (27) (640x435).jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,224

1931 kenworth

Some neat off highway oddballs.Shared picture,dont know the details,looks old though.

Hi the 3 euclids belonged to Bill Graham and brother they were leaving chamis bay and I was coming in that is my 1966 P16 half in the picture. It was Rudy Deerings camp Friell Lake Logging.Can t remember the year.

camptramp

Occupation
Hi the 3 euclids belonged to Bill Graham and brother they were leaving chamis bay and I was coming in that is my 1966 P16 half in the picture. It was Rudy Deerings camp Friell Lake Logging.Can t remember the year.
When Bill Neil pulled out of Butler Brothers at Sooke in the early 1970's , they were desperate for trucks . Bud Graham and his sons Bill and Les bought three Euclids or Terx log trucks and Jim Brandon the Super bought one . About 1976 Pacific Logging took over the logging at Sooke and brought in some Kenworths from Alberta . The Euclids of Grahams left soon after Jim Brandons Euclid was bought by Pacific and became known as "The Green Bean" so those pictures would be in the late 1970's.