• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

trakloader

Looking closely, that is a Model 6 Northwest and appears to have the high lift boom, and probably has the long sticks, too. The Northwest has more rigging than other shovels, with extra stays on the boom, etc. You couldn't raise or lower the boom easily on those machines.

Born2clearcut

The pictures of the drill, the last three don't show a tank drill. I can see cat tracks, appears to be another cat drill.
You must be a ole Cat tracker from way back trakloader :D , you are right after zooming in I can see a Cat drill . I just saw the orange and figured it was a Finning tank drill , but what I was looking at was the compressor on the back . here's a close up for those who don't have the eyes that trakloader has .

Attachments

• cat drill 1962.jpg
    cat drill 1962.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,248

miss benson

This is all so neat! My Grandpa was the president of BCFP for a while, Ken Benson. He always loves seeing pictures and other stuff from his BCFP days. I cannot wait to show him this forum. Did anyone work with him at all?

HDX

MR KP Benson Didnt he come in just after EP Taylor quit Seems to ring a bell mid 60's Welcome to this humble site miss benson Enjoy!!!!

1931 kenworth

Love the look of that Kenworth I think I have the build sheet on that unit I will have a look nice picture. If I have it do u want a copy?

Born2clearcut

Towering up in Harris Creek area 1958. Looks like a real nice machine to run all day :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1958HarrisCreek (31).jpg
    1958HarrisCreek (31).jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 1958HarrisCreek (3).jpg
    1958HarrisCreek (3).jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 1,318

superdave

Hey there Renfrew, I just discovered this site. I remember you're Dad very well. Hope you get some pictures up soon. Cheers, Dave Virtanen.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I love it when another veteran Canuck finds this site. Even though, sadly, I am not.

Welcome aboard, Dave. :thumbsup:

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
hdx on frame #33 could be BCFP 6-247 or 6-254 these were nekite river trucks sent to elk river when nekite shut down. 6-247 was about 1972-3 6-254 was about 1974-5 .Both Hayes HDX had hydralic rams under truck bunk to hook up lowbed. both trucks were other wise conventional log trucks converted to preload trucks when transfered to Elk River.

camptramp

Occupation
HDX#6-211 was originaly a Caycues truck transfered to Nekite R. prior to 1975 . The difference in the cab could be that it was wrecked at Nekite between 1975 -1978 the first time I seen it in 75 it was still yellow with a green hood in 78 it was painted in later B.C.F.P. colours . As Nekite was vally bottom haul the water valves were never put back in cab for water on brakes.

HDX

camptramp Thanks for solving that little problem!!! As you probably read on this thread about the cab on 211 was changed and now thanks to you we have atimeline when and where it was done Thanks A lot and welcome aboard HDX

camptramp

Occupation
pictures on page 18 frame #269 is the skidder at Bear cr. camp before new sled and cab. Pictures on page 20 frame #286 is the skidder with new sled and cab crossing suspension bridge over San Juan River. (bridge was built in 1957 or 1958 to join Bear Creek rail grade to Lens Creek truck roads ) Pictures on page 21 frame #307 is the skidder with new sled and cab ready to leave the Harris Creek camp , sled was probably built by George Sturmy sometime around 1960 .Page 21 frame #315 shows skidder crossing new Lens Creek bridge old bridge is still there . The skidder was retired in 1964 or1965 it was abandon on its last setting in Merdith Creek a fork of Bear Creek with the home tree standing and rigged the cab , engine and lines stripped off of it . Far as I know its still there.

camptramp

Occupation
Pictures on page 23 frame #338 is the 79 log loader after its converion from a grade shovel. It could be the first model 6 Northwest rigged up as a grapple loader in Renfrew divison I believe Jack Murius was the First operater on it .It was built in the late 1930s or early 1940s it loaded from steel tower landings until the mid 1970s it more than paid for its keep.

camptramp

Occupation
Picture on page 28 frame #406 showes a HDX Hayes pulling a"Long Tom" water tanker .When B.C,F.P. shut down the logging railroad they kept all the tanks off water cars oil cars and tanks off the locie tenders .The smaller tanks were made into slipons for convetional trucks and the larger tanks 5000 to 10000 gallons were made into long toms using old log truck traillers in the mid to late 1950s .As the trucks were up graded better trailers were put under the long toms . the master mind behind this project and many others including the B.C.F.P. style of preload trailer was the master mechenic George Gibberson

camptramp

Occupation
HDX any thougths on my thoughts of the B.C.F.P. Hayes with the non B.C.F.P. preloader set up on page 3 frame #33 I think its at Elk River

HDX

The picture was taken at the "Y" in Courtenay It was a Crown Z truck painted up in BCFP colors. I know its strange but there are a couple trucks both Pacific preload and Hayes that somehow were painted in BCFP tri-color. At first we thought maybe she was a conventional truck converted to a preload but a couple of us went up to Campbell River where she was for sale and went over her No she was for sure always a preload. So the mystery continues!!! As for 6-247 she was delivered to Nekite Division May 23/73 and 6-254 went there Oct 2/74 Funny thing was 6-247 was still painted Apache Yellow when delivered from Hayes 6-254 was the BCFP Toledo Orange and Superior White and Forest green stripe. Also while on this great subject 6-245 and 6-246 were delivered new to Malibu Division on the same barge as old 6-247 They were both still also Apache Yellow. Can you shed any light on this one???? They were painted AFTER they were in service for some time. I know its strange because BCFP had gone to its new company colors same time as M&B and Crown Z and that was 1967. I scoped out some of the later Hayes HDX's of yours and sure enough under the tri-color is Apache Yellow paint. 6-246 ended up at Gordon River Camp and had the "Line Horse" mounted on her. She is down in Sarita now just sitting and she has yellow under her. Any idea's?? Good to see this thread come alive again

camptramp

Occupation
HDX When I was at Nekite R. in 1975 the 6-247 was painted yellow with green hood .When I was in Nekite in 1979 it was in B.C.F.P. tri colours The 6-254 was always BCFP tri colours .When I was in Malibu in 1977 the 6-245 and 6-246 were both yellow with green hoods. The 6-243 and 6-244 both arrived at Renfrew yellow with green hoods . I donot know which was the first Hayes to be painted BCFP tri colours but the 6-253 appeared to have tricolours new posibly someone from Caycuse knows if the 6-249 6-250 6-251 or 6-252 came new painted tri colours . As to why they were painting new trucks yellow up until 1973 I donot know, but I,ll ask Lance Lingren next time I see him. It,s interesting that there was a push on in the late 1970,s to paint all BCFP equipment the tri colour scheme and every camp had a different combination untill the early 1980s when a thick book arrived with insructions on how to paint erverythink the same.

camptramp

Occupation
Page 5 frame #71 shows a picture of Burger Tower your right it is square it was at Renfrew Div. its # was 717 it had a highlead winch on it, make and manufature unknown but it was anicent the winch was mounted on a drop center lowbed trailer the squire tower and racks to raise it were mounted above winch using the mainline on the base of the tower and haulback hooked to block purchouse threaded though a rack with rollers to roll up the squire tower .The tower was stood to a hieght that the quarter guylines on the base of tower could stand the tower up. A real work house it was,nt a job it was a sentence thank christ there were,nt a lot of then around I set chokers on it chased on it pulled rigging on it and went camp inspecting from it.

Born2clearcut

Awesome info Camptramp . It's great to get some more info on some of my pictures.Now that the rain is here I'll have to get some pictures going again .
Thanks for the info camptramp and welcome to HEF and the BCFP thread .

camptramp

Occupation
Born2clearcut If I ever figure out how to scan pictures I have three albums of pictures from renfrew caycuse malibu and nekite I,ll share with the crew plus a couple of other camps I checked out.