• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Broken boom

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Any tips on how to fix this?

Attachments

• 7FAC401E-943D-4C19-A236-B51A463F46CF.jpeg
    7FAC401E-943D-4C19-A236-B51A463F46CF.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 207

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
My goodness, shame on the mess. A busted boom and broken dreams all up in here. Looks like it’s been messed up for awhile.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Looks like an articulated boom section where the break is. Depends on age and where the machine came from. Call the dealer and demand a new boom under warranty. The break is a design failure. Another cause might be a sloppy joint that wasn't taken care of which impact loaded on a seam.

The proper repair in my mind would be to dismantle the boom section from the main boom and stick, get it all pressed back in place and do the welding thing. Add fish plate on the sides when the broken stuff is all back together. Replace sloppy pins and bushings in the joints as required. Reassemble and go back to work to pay for it all.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
959B46B8-793F-40AD-BBC6-07CF485CC9EC.jpeg 2474318A-BA8B-4FF4-8D80-3D056BBF5412.jpeg

Oh man, you guys are the best.
Had a rough day but at least you guys will set me straight.
It’s 100% my fault for not noticing earlier... this machine is like a red headed stepchild so I kinda just beat it up without any regard for its wellbeing.

I’m a hack of a welder but I know some real professionals... should have that aspect under control.

the break is right on the bushing for the pivot... will all that heat from welding distort the bushing?
My guess is yes. ..

Tugger2

the needs to be stripped of all lines and cylinders and removed from the machine so you dealing with a single piece .pull or press that crack tight .creative use of a good porto power jack and some strong backs should accomplish that. once its tight gouge it out clean it up and weld it up . this shouldnt hurt the bushing bore judging the distance of the crack from the bore in the picture. you may want to consider a doubler plate running back to the bushing bore and tapering out maybe a foot to 18" down the boom. this reinforcing welded to the bushing hub may make the bushing go out of round,but it quite likely is beaten egg shaped already . You may need it built up and bored anyhow . If your welder works on booms he will know the procedures.If not ask in here we can all help with details as to rod type beveling and reinforcing plate design.
Its only an excavator boom they arent hard to fix.Just takes a creative welder I threw this picture in of a boom off an old 172 Hitachi road builder boom with a couple of cracks in it that neede fixing. we cut right apart ,fabbed up new sections with someimg865.jpg 50,000 yield plate and a paint job . off it went back to work

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Maybe an idea to check that the machine is not over stressed by the attachments and the operator is aware of the swinging boom limitations, better to prevent that repair may be a little late with that advice.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• FAR Equipmentt Cracks.pdf
    788.9 KB · Views: 5

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Good day
Maybe an idea to check that the machine is not over stressed by the attachments and the operator is aware of the swinging boom limitations, better to prevent that repair may be a little late with that advice.
Kind regards
Uffex

Good point, Uffex...
This machine is gray market and kind of different. .. the cab/body/motor/hydraulics/tracks are a Deere 35d but the boom/arm are from a 40series machine that I’m having trouble identifying.
The issue could be the mismatched structures...or it could be that I’m a **** operator!!

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
39F3B731-62B6-44AF-B6FB-ABA1FB8DA46A.jpeg If anyone has any guesses on the boom/arm setup I’m all ears... would be nice to know where to get parts

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
TBH looking at the physical size of it and where it goes from and to, rather than attempting a welding repair it might be easier/cheaper to simply replace it provided you could identify the Part Number and also track one down. Personally I'd go that way first.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Airman is Japanese. I've only seen one branded mini here, that one looked Kabota like, we do see some of their Airman compressors but I think that's a whole different section.

If you brought that to us we'd probably strip it, pull the boom then cut that end square and rebuild the end, little bit of new plate, a pin boss and then bevel and backer strip connection maybe plate it depending on how it looks/gets used. I'd bet that existing boss is hammered.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you brought that to us we'd probably strip it, pull the boom then cut that end square and rebuild the end, little bit of new plate, a pin boss and then bevel and backer strip connection maybe plate it depending on how it looks/gets used. I'd bet that existing boss is hammered.
That makes sense. I was wondering myself about the feasibility of stitching both ends of the existing boom on to a new center section.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would get some measurements done and start checking on other makes for that articulating boom. My guess is they were all made by a sub contractor and then installed on any make that wanted one of them. Pin distance, diameter and type of bearings would be the considerations.

Tags

I wonder if you do some measuring if you could find a standard boom from a machine being parted out that would fit. You would lose the articulating boom though. I bet if you have a competent welder near you he could put it back together. Especially if you disassemble and reassemble yourself. You’ll probably need new pin and bushings though.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
That makes sense. I was wondering myself about the feasibility of stitching both ends of the existing boom on to a new center section.

A little bit more time probably that way.

On a lot of stuff I've found you can cut and replace just as quick or quicker then sitting there and gouge/air arc/touch out old weld trying to reuse/fix, especially if you can source off shelf bosses or use stock DOM tube sizes.

BluewaterLa

Occupation
Field Service Tech / Semi retired
From the looks of the cracks developing perpendicular to the main larger crack there is going to be metal fatigue.
I would not waste my time trying to grind / gouge and weld that back up.
I would cut the sections of metal out, use backer plates and weld up new metal. This would be stronger than dealing with smaller cracks and metal fatigued areas that will fail yet again under load.

Side note using fish plates over an existing repair weld will only cover up any new cracking / failure in the welds or metal until the issue is severe enough to cause a larger failure / break.
This was done on my mini ex stick. Once I removed the fish plate just to have a look in an area thought to have no issues, well there was severe issues to deal with so no go on the fish plate.