• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Broken leaf spring and crash course in driving a big truck?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If strictly using offroad as you mentioned I would just use it and watch it. If one leaf is broke it will show up as it opens up when working. Look after it has been flexing for a few hours.

JPV

If it is broke in the spring eye on the front of the spring where the pin goes through it can be hard to see it. The outer wrap of the spring will hold everything in place so it will drive fine. Jack the frame up high enough to lift the spring and watch for movement at the front of the spring, that might make it show up. Good luck, those are great low maintenance suspensions for a dump truck but the maintenance they need is all big heavy parts!

Welder Dave

Thanks, that's the only place I think there could be a break. There was some rust there that I picked at that may have looked like a break. I'll have to jack it up and take a real close look.