• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bucket controls

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
:beatsme can anyone explain why bucket controls are different from one another {rubber tire vs track loader}

pushcat

On a rubber tired loader you sometimes have to "pump" the bucket to get a full scoop, so that lever is closer to you, therefore easier to reach and more comfortable for the operator. On a crawler loader, most of the time it's being used as a dozer or grading so you set the bucket level and just use the control to raise and lower the loader arms, so that control is closer to the operator.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
I'll take a wild stab at this, and may be totally wrong. I'm assuming you are referring to fact that the boom and bucket levers are in opposite positions (boom closer on the track loader, bucket closer on the wheel loader) and the bucket control being different also (forward to curl, back to dump on a track loader).

I would guess that the trackloader controls are a throwback to the earliest ones having a mechanical trip instead of a hydraulic actuator. Anybody know for sure? :beatsme

Rusted

Something I've often wondered about myself...and having spent far more time on wheel loaders than trackloaders, I have to say I prefer the wheel loader setup.

Deas Plant

Bucket controls.

Hi, Folks.
I think the original reason that Cat had the crowd control 'back-to-front', ie. push the crowd lever forward to crowd back and pull back to dump was so that you could use one hand on both levers when returning to the dig position after dumping a bucket. This was all thought out before auto bucket levellers. I always reckoned it worked great, at least for me.

Any other offers?

FarmerDave

Pushcat,
My grandpa's Fiat Allis FL9 crawler loader has the lever for the bucket closer to the operator, but then, maybe the Itallians do them diffrent all the time.