• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket question - John Deere 490e

joelx777

I own a 1996 John Deere 490e excavator. It has a 32" bucket on it with teeth. I just bought a farm and need to trench in a mile of 10" water mainline, and the seller recommended I do it with a 18" bucket to avoid tearing up the fields too much.

My question - how do I go about finding an 18" bucket that fits my excavator?

Also - bonus question - is there some sort of conversion to a quick attach system for my bucket and excavator arm?

Shimmy1

My sentiment exactly. Use your 32". If you do decide to take his advice, this is going to be a reality. You are not going to be able to get proper fill around the bottom of the pipe unless it's saturated sand. With that, if there ever ends up being any heavy traffic over the line, chances of damage are high. Just out of curiosity, is this an irrigation line? Irrigation pipe is generally lighter than water main, so chance of damage increases as well.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
From experience I agree with above.
Keep the current bucket unless it’s trashed. If you were to buy anything - go with a single tooth ripper. It will tear up a mile of ground in no time then go back thru with the bucket to dig it out.
I’m here in New England and its all granite stones and roots / rocks. Some are quite large. Most 32” trenches end up being 48-60” wide before you know it. The ripper makes a nice addition and loosens stuff up a lot.
Good luck with the new farm!
Syleng1