• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Build a cheap semi trailer

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Nice job gadgetman, how did you prep the frame before you painted it. I recall that you said the paint was pretty tough how well did it clean up for the new paint.

Gadgetman

Occupation
project manager and operator
After fitting everything we stripped it all back down to the frame for sandblasting. Shown here hooked up for the 50 mile trip to the blaster. Even pulled the inside rims off for access to everything. All surfaces are cleaned down to bare metal before painting.

I try to avoid two flat surfaces of metal contacting each other,unless I enclose it with welds. Your not able to paint these surfaces,which in our enviroment is guaranteed to rust out. In the case of the two I-beams stacked and the heavy top flange added, I didn't want continious welds running the full length of the frame. So we ran welds every 6" or so,then filled the seam with a paintable silicone after the sandblasting was done. This has been working well for us.

Attachments

• HPIM0201b.jpg
    HPIM0201b.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,087

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
nice work!

I have a question, how much trouble do you have with cracking on the cross bracing welds? I imagine there are some tricks involved with allowing the frame to flex and twist without the braces fatiguing and cracking???

ken