• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Build or Buy....???

lantraxco

Surprised your pole shed is only 14' walls. Having a 5 ton overhead crane spanning the entire shop is the probably the greatest asset of the shop Hallback made the deal on. Multiple doors and heavy power is another asset.
Not all of us have really tall stuff to deal with, my current shop has 14' walls and 12' doors, haven't had an issue with that the last ten years. Yes, there are times I wish the hoists had a few extra feet of lift, but that's rare.

Welder Dave

I put up a 40x60 pole shed and the standard walls are 16' with a 14' door. A 30x50 had 14' walls and a 12' door. 14' door allows a legal highway height to fit inside. Extra height is nice to have in case you need it.

Welder Dave

All depends on what you want to do. Someday I might put a mezzanine in which will work better with taller walls.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
That pole building kit was CHEAP!!
Where are you located, Cambodia?:D

I couldn't even get multiple quotes as the only guy that gave me one said it changes daily.

Don.S

Probably changes daily due to those dang logging outfits buying new trucks every week and putting up buildings. Price of lumber cant stay consistent because of them. Last i heard the profit in logging is 700%

Crummy

Nice complex. I'm a big fan of buy it and put it in service RFN making $$$. In the immortal words of the fellow I used to do commercial construction projects for- "I gave you an unlimited budget and you managed to exceed it !!!!"

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
That pole building kit was CHEAP!!
Where are you located, Cambodia?:D

I couldn't even get multiple quotes as the only guy that gave me one said it changes daily.

This! A friend is getting quotes on a new equipment storage building, must pay for material in full the day you say "build it". Builder must also transfer the $ to the supplier the same day.

Ed

lantraxco

This! A friend is getting quotes on a new equipment storage building, must pay for material in full the day you say "build it". Builder must also transfer the $ to the supplier the same day.

Ed
Out here in fab and manufacturing land those erratic steel prices are playing hell with getting any sales I can tell you. Just one more straw on the old camel.