• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a d9h that's been sitting for years

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Value is what a market for a property, real or personal, believes at any given moment that property is worth. Market areas can be very small, to global. Value is the opinion of the market for that property.

An appraisal is an appraiser's opinion of what the market for a property believes a property is worth; therefore, an appraisal is an opinion of an opinion. Deriving an appraisal of a used car is one thing, but figuring out how much less that car is worth if it is badly wrecked may be hugely more difficult until the car is taken apart, the problems diagnosed, and the numbers run.

I would think that the larger a non-operating piece of heavy equipment is, the more difficult it could be to establish the cost to put it back into longer-term operating condition.

Flame away....

Neill

Neily

Hi. Tarhe driver, yes working out what this thing is realy like is going to be the problem. I'd hate to think what a final drive would cost to replace, I'm realy going to have to check this thing out to the best of my ability before I can establish its worth to me.

Nige. I'm with you on the " I'll bet money he wants an over inflated price" way of thinking. My thoughts are that if it is taking so long to work out a price it's because whoever he asks tell him it's either worthless ( which is defiantly not what he wants to hear ) or "that 4 barrel ripper is worth 10k on its own" attitude which puts $$$$$$$$$$ into the sellers mind.
I'll be surprised if I even need to look at it once I have a price lol.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I would think that the larger a non-operating piece of heavy equipment is, the more difficult it could be to establish the cost to put it back into longer-term operating condition.

Flame away....

Neill

Neill, No flames from me on that one. Once you get over a certain size the bigger they are the less they are worth!

Company I worked for had a few front end loaders to sell at auction. Some 966C Cats and some 988B Cats. The prices they got for 966C's with parts missing and engines have gone and open to the weather seemed crazy where 988B's went for next to nothing in comparison. Would hate to think how cheep a 992 would go for if it had engine problems.

Bet it would be the same for a D6C and a D9H in the same condition.

Neily

image.jpg
Update, spoke to a mate yesterday that had this picture taken a while ago. Machine is in this state, owner contacted me today and is going to send me a few pictures through. She looks a lil sad :/. Ill post some more pics when I get them, she doesn't look real flash!!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Undercarriage looks almost worn out for a start. Not much left in those grousers or the sprockets, links are pretty well down to the bone, or certainly appear so from the photos.
Evidence of leaking hydraulic cylinders on the ripper at least.

This thing is looking more like scrap price every day......

Neily

Hi nige, yep certainly doesn't exactly jump at you in the pictures does it. I should know a price soon so that's what will determine if I'm even going to go for a look at it, pictures are good but not like a walk around with your own eyes. You wouldn't happen to have a rough idea of age would you? Also what kind of average life expectancy does one get from a new undercarriage? I realise that's a pretty broad question. I'm never going to do thousands of hours, more like hundreds I'd say, uc would probably see me out as is.

Nige

That S/N plate is actually the engine number, not the machine. For newer machines if you throw an engine S/N into the system it will come up with a machine S/N and a date of manufacture but with something that old the data simply isn't there. Ask the seller for the machine Serial Number. For a D9H the S/N prefix should be one of either 12V, 90V, 97V or 99V followed by the number.

Nige

Now that's the engine number plate. D353 is the engine model, 97U2939 is the Serial Number and 8S3233 is the Arrangement Number (aka Bill of Materials). They all seem kosher but there is no info in the system on that engine to date it.

I wonder if the plate in your previous photo on Page 2 is from a component like the hydraulic control, ripper, or blade..? Back in that era the hydraulic control would certainly have had its own S/No, today they don't. It certainly doesn't look like any machine Serial Number plate I've ever seen but on the other hand it appears to be a genuine Cat plate.

Edit: Found it ....... 28H17344 is the Serial Number of the Hydraulic Control, that tag will most likely be mounted on the hydraulic tank. Despite now knowing what it is we're no nearer dating the tractor. So we're still looking for the machine Serial Number.

Last edited:

Neily

Everything except the one needed lol, I have a picture of the ripper sn. So the other could very well be for the blade or something else, that's all the pictures I have. No worries I'll have a look if I ever see it for myself, thanks for having a look. I'm getting a bit curious as to what price he comes up with lol.

Cmark

I agree. It's probably going to be a 90V machine. Unlikely to be a 97V as only a couple of hundred were made and if it were you would probably be able so see the remnants of the air control system for the DD9 setup. If, on the off chance it is a 97V it would possibly be worth saving as a collector's item.

If the original machine serial number plate is still there, it should be in the cab riveted to the lower firewall behind the brake pedals.

And yes, 28H is the hydraulic control.

Neily

Hi all, old mate wants 25k think I'll let that one go :/. Went and had a look at this one today, it has its issues also! No turning brakes on rhs, sluggish in reverse and the engine blows black smoke like crazy. Although sounds and runs nice. Give me your opinion.image.jpg