• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a dump truck in California

Palmer78

From what I understand all trucks over 15000 lbs gvwr will soon need to meet 2010 emissions specs in california. I sure as hell can't afford to buy a 2010 truck. Does anyone have any advice as to the most cost effective way to buy a 3 axle dump truck. I was thinking about getting an older truck with a bad engine and buying a newer engine that meets the emissions specs. Any thoughts?

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
You may not find this very helpfull. But my thoughts are leave California.

toomuchtime

either by a 2010 or newer model truck or a older truck. Pre 1995 you will be good unitil either 2015 or 2016 depending on the model year. If you have work now and can make some money do it. If your just starting out I would not touch the dump truck buisness with a 10 foot pole right now in ca.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
I don't have any good answer for you.
But I'm interested to see how all of this plays out, around me 90% of the dump trucks are not new enough to meet emissions. There is one large company that has a couple of trucks new enough.
Some people seem optimistic that the laws will change or be delayed again, I'm personally not that positive.
Its interesting and depressing to see that the same group of people that support these type of environmental laws are the same group of people that wine about the evil corporations. Whats the outcome of these regulations? Puts the little guys out of business! :confused: Is this the definition of ignorant thinking?

toomuchtime

Theres know way the laws will be delayed. There has been to many lawsuits against carb for anything to change at this point. Down here they are already checking our compliance certificates at the scale houses and have been sending letters to remind us our 96-99 trucks will either need a pm filter or be retired as of Jan 1 2013 about every other month.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Its interesting and depressing to see that the same group of people that support these type of environmental laws are the same group of people that wine about the evil corporations. Whats the outcome of these regulations? Puts the little guys out of business! :confused:

That's why the largest Corp's lobby and fund campaigns to get this type of regulation passed as they know through their economies of scale and compliance departments that they will be able to abide by the law and pass the costs on to the consumers, something small operations can't.

Several years back Alabama passed new legislation regarding recycling concrete wash water at redi-mix plants. The plant equipment was a $1M give or take investment at the time. Yep you guessed it, the major lobbyists for this law were the largest redi-mix producers in the state.:cool2 It passed and put many small mom and pop redi-mix plants out of business...:(

Is this the definition of ignorant thinking?

It's the cold calculating thinking of big corp's. It's disgusting how big business teams up with big gov't to put the little guys out of business!:soapbox

Tiny

This something that I need to keep an eye on . Whatever Cali does will eventually hit here . Couple of years back the company was required to retro fit catalytic converters on all the old trucks or risk not being able to bid state work .

So my daily driver ( a 93 pete ) was changed over . I hated it . Muffler was underneath and I lost a bit of vision because side mount deal . Way louder too . Need to roll up the windows if the jake is on .

I have no clue what to tell you about what your next move is , I sure it will be costly .

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
CARB is hitting hard. If you go with a 26,000 or lower GVWR from the manufacture in the door jamb you may go a little longer. It depends on the years. These have a different compliance schedule. If you need to go bigger buy a 2007 motor year or better truck. These have filters on them and will take you until 2020 to 2023 depending on fleet size. Since you are just staring out It may be hard to get into a compliant truck. It's hard to say this but California is running all the small guys out. The truck I started my grading business 35 years ago would not be allowed now, How does this help? By the way www.becarbcompliant.com has done all my compliance and they have been very fair. Call or email them before you buy a truck for free info!

Reel hip

Occupation
I just reread your post. If you buy an older truck then you can get a 2007 motor or better for it. They are hard to find and the dpf may not work(location) in the truck that the motor is going in. You may need to modify it to work. Also beware of people selling filters. If they are not certified by CARB you are throwing money away. Good luck

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
A roadblock inspection was recently observed in Santa Maria on route 166 going to Guadalupe, also was one in Oxnard recently reported on there too.
The repower option will be something to consider but I fear you will encounter many nay sayers....the 2010 newer low NOx with SCR engine is the best option for the investment because it can always be resold in the state where less than this year has a sunset on the operation....I wonder what a wrecked roll over later model rig would cost....and if you could salvage the wrecked engine and trans and wiring harness 'excerpts'???

JDOFMEMI

I have noticed ARB (Air Rescource Board) now has their own pickups and mobile inspections. They will pair up with the regular DOT inspectors at roadside inspection stops. Some of these are in the normal areas for portables, but they are also targeting high truck traffic locations, like right outside the quarries. Recently in Irwindale I spotted 7 DOT, and 4 ARB trucks set up at 4 locations, catching every possible way in or out of the area in a truck.

Also, pay attention to the ENGINE year, not the truck year. most 2007 and lots of 2008 trucks have 2006 engines, as the manufacturers were not up to speed by the time the deadline hit for the new engines. You may buy a 2007 or 2008 truck only to find it is still not legal.

The other thing to think of is the troubles with the first few years of these engines. Many of them are just not reliable, and are prone to leave you walking.

It is a shame that the government has done this to the little guys. The big companies willingly go along, as it reduces their competition.

Reel hip

Occupation
This statement is Right on!

Also, pay attention to the ENGINE year, not the truck year. most 2007 and lots of 2008 trucks have 2006 engines, as the manufacturers were not up to speed by the time the deadline hit for the new engines. You may buy a 2007 or 2008 truck only to find it is still not legal.

Every motor has an Engine Control Label (a $300.fine if you don't) It must tell you the date of manufacture. . In my previous reply you must get a 2007 year or better motor. Also 2010 motors have had problems but the 2012 seem to have the bugs worked out

Dualie

BE AWARE! you do not have to comply with the orders of the ARB on road side inspections. They have ZERO authority to stop and detain anyone. The only people that do are actual law enforcement. No gun = not a cop keep Rollin. If they are teamed up with the CHP then you have to obey the orders of the officer and your screwed.

Lindsey97

i would sell everything and move somewhere east and south. plenty of good used equipment out here for sale.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
BE AWARE! you do not have to comply with the orders of the ARB on road side inspections. They have ZERO authority to stop and detain anyone. The only people that do are actual law enforcement. No gun = not a cop keep Rollin. If they are teamed up with the CHP then you have to obey the orders of the officer and your screwed.

Thats good to know! It makes sense.

Reel hip

Occupation

I have yet to be stopped by the ARB (3 times now) that the CHP was not involved. They use CHP on over time to do this. Another reason that California makes stupid financial decisions and then makes the tax payer (us) cover the bill!