• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can a Cat 938F lift a 40ft dry container?

ABruso

Occupation
Compost Owner/Operator
Weight seems to be not a problem. Container empty weighs 7000lbs. Cat938F is according to ritchiespecs Bucket BREAKOUT FORCE 28325.9 lb STATIC TIPPING WEIGHT 25229.7 lb

Clearance will be an issue, meaning I probably need to hold the container a little farther out from the front of the machine thus decreasing my tipping load weight.

How much extra weight do you think I could put in it?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How are you proposing to lift it..? Do you have forks on the loader or will you be using some sort of rigging from the bucket..?

The tipping load is measured from the bottom bucket pin. The container CofG will be forward of that by maybe 6ft or more depeding on how you rig it, so you can cut those numbers by at least half or maybe more.

Last edited:

ABruso

Occupation
Compost Owner/Operator
I was thinking of rigging, but thinking about it now, forks seems more reasonable, since it avoids clearance issues.

How are you proposing to lift it..? Do you have forks on the loader or will you be using some sort of rigging from the bucket..?

The tipping load is measured from the bottom bucket pin. The container CofG will be forward of that by maybe 6ft or more depeding on how you rig it, so you can cut those numbers by at least half or maybe more.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I was thinking of rigging, but thinking about it now, forks seems more reasonable, since it avoids clearance issues.
The problem with rigging is that you would need a huge amount of height under the bucket to hook to the ends of a 40ft container because of the length and I don't think the lift arms would go high enough to get the container off the ground.

Lifting with forks would be preferable, especially if the container has "fork slots" in the bottom - but those slots are only for lifting an completely empty container. However then you face the problem of the length of the forks required in order to balance the container and whether or not you can spread them wide enough to get in the slots in the first place. Obviously if there are no slots then how wide the forks spread would not be an issue, although finding a balance point along the length of the container would still be tricky.

How far are you planning on moving it..? Maybe you could rig to one end and keep spinning it on its axis alternating the lift points from one end to the other end in order to get it from where it is now to where you want it to be without ever lifting the whole thing clear of the ground. Myabe even just lift one end and slide it from where it is now to where you want it to be......

Last edited:

AKSNOW

Occupation
Heavy Eqpt / NCCO Crane operator
I can tell you from experiances, that with a 930H it would lift straight up off of a step deck but there is so much weight side to side if you articulate to turn it will set down. Our forks were only 4' pallet forks and would barely spread out to fit in pockets. We had to roll all the way back to get any kind of control. FWIW

lumberjack

Normally tipping and certainly roll back/break out forces are taken some distance in front of the bucket pin, or with a given attachment. The breakout force at the bucket pin would be infinite as the distance would be 0.