• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can a guy be a certified welder and not know how to stick weld?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Based on my understanding yes. There are certifications for different processes as well as positions. Not necessarily a one size fits all certification.

Junkyard

hetkind

Just ask him what processes he is certified and by who...there are many weld processes in addition to stick, like mig, tig, submerged arc, laser, friction, spot, resistance and the list goes on.

Howard

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
The guy does a really nice job at mig welding but I was surprised I had to show him how stick weld. I'm not certified but the different certs explains things. Thanks

Old Doug

There most be a 100 or more welding certifications. I worked as a welder at a place that had 60 or more guys that were welders maybe 4 could stick weld. In my eyes alot of the certifications are a Joke. that place they gave you 2 trys to pass then on the 3th they put some one with you to help you pass. I was surpriced at the guys that passed the first time and the ones that didnt.

mitch504

As owner of this company, I can make you a "certified welder" if you want to be one, Rob. (all it'll cost you is starting a new thread on how much better a mechanic I am than you :angel ).

It's all in who he's certified by, and what he's certified for. Even if he has a meaningful certification, a lot of guys who are certified in certain processes in manufacturing, and new construction, are lost when you put them under a filthy, rusty machine to do repair welding.

Last edited:

Komatsumech

This is going to sound bad ... but my experience over the years is .. If a guy uses the phrase " I am a certified welder" during a conversation about welding odds are he passed a test at a vo-tech or some other type of class and probably doesn't have a whole lot of experience ... Good welding takes practice and repetition of proper techniques to give good physical and aesthetic results ... nothing beats experience ... no card or paper will ever replace that ...

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Friends relative is underwater weldor.

That he can do. Put him down there with a properly prepped joint, and he welds it.

Repair under his car at the farm (weld an exhaust pipe leak) ? Lost.

I joked, we should toss his car in the pond, then he could suit up, go
down there and weld his exhaust pipe.

check

What does the title mean? If a carpenter can frame walls and nothing else, is he really a carpenter? If a mechanic can change spark plugs and nothing else, is he really a mechanic?

If a welder can't cut, fit and weld steel at least stick and MIG, I don't think I would call him a real welder.

If an operator can only run a roller and nothing else.....

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I know a lot of folks that have earned a certification in Bull Sh*t. Been even accused of having one myself. LOL

Jonas302

If you think about it stick welding field repairs probably count for 1 percent of the welding trade

I do know a few stick welders that cant wirefeed worth a hoot and waste tons of time burning rod

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
This is going to sound bad ... but my experience over the years is .. If a guy uses the phrase " I am a certified welder" during a conversation about welding odds are he passed a test at a vo-tech or some other type of class and probably doesn't have a whole lot of experience ... Good welding takes practice and repetition of proper techniques to give good physical and aesthetic results ... nothing beats experience ... no card or paper will ever replace that ...

Exactly!

There are so many different welding applications, and the different welding processes. "Certification" is a meaningless word when there isn't some specific context. Structural is different from fab, pipeline, aerospace, industrial, field repair, etc., etc.

RobVG, So yes, someone could be an experienced, expert, certified tig welder in aerospace welding, and have never touched a SMAW (stick) electrode.

Edit: Howard already said it! I need to read first, then comment...

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The usual agency for structural welding in this state is the Washington Association of Building Officials, WABO, and they do have certain tests for welding on structures. The general test was for stick welding on things like buildings, signs, any kind of railing and so on and so forth. The standard test was a horizontal and an overhead fillet weld on plate. There were a few community college instructors actually certified to give and grade the test. There was also a written test that had to be passed. Someone with the WABO cert usually knew what they were doing. They also had a cert for squirt guns but I never had to do that.

Outside of that for this state there were private certifications given by the ship yards and the aircraft manufacturing industries. The ship yards when they were big here did all kinds of exotic alloys, out of position on plate and pipe welding. I seem to recall the boilermakers also had some tough pipe fitting tests and standards.

The big thing is that most of those guys have retired or passed on from all the nasty stuff they were breathing. Technology has also changed just how much anyone uses stick anymore also. Most of the schools work with the little beer can squirt guns now. Sometimes someone will set up a dual shield with 0.45 or 1/16 wire just to show the students what is was like. Stick still has it place but most of the trucks I see now have a suit case and usually a bottle of steel mix. Stick just doesn't compare in speed.

Truck Shop

In the early 90's I sort of quit working on trucks for two years and worked for an irrigation and domestic well and pump business welding pipe and building fittings.
I worked two Bureau of Reclamation jobs the company landed. I had to test with stick both times. 6010 root pass with a 7018 cover and be able to weld up or down
on vertical. I passed it wasn't much of a test. But I was told the certification only lasted til the completion of the project. I had to test for both jobs. I can run wire
or stick. But what I find anymore is few people can gas weld. I always liked brazing. Had to repair several pump housings that way.

Truck Shop

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
LOML's ex was a GM journeyman welder (skilled trades, lol) idiot couldn't weld to save his arse......a blind man with a bad seeing eye dog could've done better.

Ed

lantraxco

Gas welding. I used to do a lot of exhaust systems with a 00 tip and 1/16" gas rod. Fun, like TIG welding only better, lol.

Cmark

Dad taught me gas welding when I was about 13yo, lying under cars welding patches onto rusty mufflers.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My dad was a high school welding instructor. He taught his dad gas welding when he was about 80 years old. He used baling wire for filler metal.

He would spend his days down in the farm shop making livestock panels and feeders out of square steel tube and such. Some of the first ones were so awful over heavy we could barely move them but Grandpa's engineering quickly improved and he made very practical ones after that, man gates inside wide gates, modular panels, etc.

Dad tried to move him on to arc welding once he had the gas part down but he did not want to learn a new way so he stuck with gas.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
M

Dad tried to move him on to arc welding once he had the gas part down but he did not want to learn a new way so he stuck with gas.

I was at a Amish farm workshop and they did just the same, gas welding/brazing only.

Then I was at the LWS (local welding supplier) and an Amish guy was buying the latest inverter rig.

I wanted to ask (as it had autolink and would run on many different voltages) "Where on the horse
do you plug it in ?"....:D But I just smiled.