• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can someone help identify which fuel transfer pump I need for my cat 215b? Attached as a photo of the engine serial number.

MattR

I am believing this is what is failing on us.

Numbers in the picture attached. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240208-201133.png
    Screenshot_20240208-201133.png
    822 KB · Views: 12

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
That would be a 1W-1695 transfer pump group. You can get one off eBay, or you can ask your preferred supplier if they can supply a 1W-1695 pump.

LCA078

What is the reason for believing your transfer pump went out? Fuel delivery? Or fuel in crankcase? Or something else?

MattR

Fuel delivery. running for a while then dying. Sometimes It'll run longer than other times. Exact symptoms that I had about 10 years ago on the unit. We have insured all lines are clear, fuel filters are clean. In fact we have changed about a box of fuel filters on it in the last couple weeks. So I guess it's time to try the transfer pump next. Sometimes it'll run for 20 minutes and die and you have to pump the living hell out of it to get it running again. Sometimes it will go a day

LCA078

Interesting. Have you tried taking the cap off the fuel tank when running? Disconnected line to transfer pump (or whatever is the lowest part of the fuel line) and verified fuel flows freely from gravity? Fished around the fuel tank with a coat hanger to see if there is a plastic bag or set of women's underwear floating around?

Seriously, I swear I remember someone on this forum saying they fished out a pair of panties from a fuel tank....

MattR

Yes we have done all the above. We're no certified cat mechanics, but we have hy machines for 30 plus years. That certainly doesn't mean I know it all I'm always open to hearing what you guys have to think that's why I post here. And yes we have good fuel flowing. The pumps only about $100 so I figure it's the first stop. It's acting exactly like it did 10 15 years ago when I had this happen. So I figured I'd give this a whirl. We did all the preliminaries before the pump. And no joke, you're right about the panties. The guy that's actually operating this machine is retired from owning his own business. They had a big logging operation. Once they were logging all the way up at the tip of upper Michigan in copper harbor and they had a Big timber Jack skidder with fuel problems. And you are correct, they fished out a pair of panties! He was just tell me about it about 3 days ago