• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 Hydralic Problem. Please help

Khancart

Occupation
Full time student and entrepreneur
I have a case skid that will not function. It won't raise or drop or dump or pick up. I have cleaned the pump housing. Drive train works hydraulics do not. The pump is pumping. Any ideas guys?

heymccall

All loader functions originate from the gear pump, driven off the crankshaft, at the rear, visible when the door is opened.
"Pump is pumping"? What does that mean?

Khancart

Occupation
It means that the Hydralic pump is pumping fluid out. Could there be a pressure problem

heymccall

The loader hydraulics are ultra simple.
The engine turns a gear pump, to create pressurized oil.
The pressurized oil goes to control valve, with two spools and a relief cartridge, on RH side of machine.
The oil returns from control valve, thru cooler/ filter, to tank.
Are the control rods clevised to the control valve spools (they need disconnected to slide the cab forward for service)?
If they are connected, perhaps the relief cartridge is stuck open with debris? Relief is also on control valve.

Khancart

Occupation
Does anyone know how big a job it is to rebuild the Hydralic pump? Anyone ever done it?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The equipment pump is a throwaway, has alloy build. problem likely to be shaft & drive coupling stripped.
The control levers are moving as they should?

Khancart

Occupation
Not really. When you bring the safety bar down the left side wiggles a little an when you move the left one you can feel it in the right one. But when you move the right one you can't feel it in the left. We've taken the cage off, cleaned the pump and looked for everything we've come up with. It's truly stumped about 6 of us

alrman

Occupation
Next to the seat, RHS, there is a lockout bracket that prevents the control levers from moving, unless the lap bar is down. Make sure it is clear/raised when the bar is down. Usually a bit of binding in the linkages or an adjustment may need to be made.

Attachments

• 1840controls.png
    1840controls.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 803

Khancart

Occupation
That wasn't it either. Bout to dig a hole wit my 688 and put this skid 6 ft under. Lol

alrman

Occupation
1840's are blessed with a simple hydraulic system. If the controls are working correctly & no hydraulics are functioning, can only mean the equipment pump is not delivering oil. Pull it out & take a look.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
And yes...I know where Nitro WV is...been there. LoL :D

Patience Khancart, alrman is a Case technician, he knows his stuff, work with him.

Not saying it's your problem, but I had an 1840 that about drove me nuts. Would drive fine, but no workable loader functions. Turned out the loader control valve had an internal fault, replaced loader control valve, haven't heard nothing about that machine since. I only said this to say listen to alrman, give him any detail you can think of, sometimes it's odd faults that cause problems, sometimes it's something simple, info is critical. :)

Khancart

Occupation
Does a 1840 not use hydraulics to move forward and reverse?

heymccall

Pump inside back door runs loader hydraulics.
Tandem pump under seat runs travel (propulsion).

Two completely independent systems
that just happen to be in the same machine.......

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
#12 pumps into #21 in this drawing
http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-18...raulics-4i/HYDROSTATIC-DRIVE-HYDRAULICS-nx9X/

#12 pump is splined to the crankshaft, and must be removed to change the accessory belt.

All loader functions originate from the gear pump, driven off the crankshaft, at the rear, visible when the door is opened.

The equipment pump is located under the radiator. First place to look if loader fails to operate. Check if shaft is turning. Better still, remove the pump & visually inspect splines at pump & coupling. Req 10-15mins of work.
If that is OK, then we need to look at the valve- as willie has mentioned. However, pump is usually at fault 99% of the time.

Attachments

• 1840 pump.png
    1840 pump.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 734