• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 SSL - Park brake fault

Richardjw~

Folks,

Can anyone explain where the park brake is located and possible reasons why its not working?
The switch works, the warning light comes on but the latch doesn't engage.

Any clues?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Do you have the Serial Number for this machine?

If this is like the machines sold in the USA the "parking brake" is actually two pins on either side of the machine that when safety levers are raised the pins engage in hole in the center sprocket in the chain box on either side of the machine. Some times you have to creep the machine one way or the other to let the pins pop into the holes. Same when trying to move after levers are down a gentile nudge one way another to take pressure off the pins.

1840 Parking brake.JPG
This is the image of what the system I'm familiar with looks like but there are other versions used in other parts of the world, one even shows a disk brake that is mounted on the front axles.

You could also look at this site to see if any thing there looks like your machine:

Richardjw~

I looked thru the parkbrake section of the parts catalogue and it doesn't seem to ressemble what i have..... On mine there is a small box down on the left side of the footwell with a Parkbrake switch and red warning light, pull the switch upwards and the light comes on...suggesting that the park brake comes on....down being off, i assume.
As if its some kind of European homolgation safety stop

bad Tom

I hope this works. Is this the type of parking you have?

Attachments

• Report_8360122879456460061 (1).pdf
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 4

Richardjw~

it seems I have found the fault....a dodgy connector leading to the solenoid.
I traced the pipes and they tee off to the base of each drive motor, I presume some kind of brake on the motor itself rather than the pegs that come out into the sprockets

Attachments

• Case 1840 SSL a.jpg
    Case 1840 SSL a.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Case 1840 SSL b.jpg
    Case 1840 SSL b.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Case 1840 SSL c.jpg
    Case 1840 SSL c.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 6