• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845c Alternator buzzer

mirgard

Hi
I got a problem...the alternator buzzer keeps buzzing =) i have owned the skid steer for about 6 month and under that 6 month the alternator buzzer did buzz a couple of times when i was using it and it stopped after 5 sec and for about a month now i have had the alternator buzz when i start it but stopped when i rev up but now it wont stop even when i push the throttle to max
do you think the alternator need to be changed or could it be the battery?

mirgard

Checked the belt and alternator fan is spinning also checked the battery and when the engine is off the load on battery is 12,7V and when i start the engine it is 12,5V in low speed and 12,7V in high speed...

Delmer

Yes, that sounds like a bad alternator. Is there a shop that repairs alternators near you? An electric motor repair shop might if there's not a place specialized in starters and alternators. It could be something as simple as worn brushes, and I always prefer to rebuild what is there, rather than get a "rebuilt" aftermarket alternator with all new "cheap China" parts. It all depends on local prices though, I suppose.

Did you check the belt tension? You should be able to press the belt in about one centimeter at the middle of the longest span, 2 or 3 centimeters is too loose. Usually you hear squealing when you first start the engine if the belt is slipping.

Last edited:

mirgard

Thanks Delmer, I have ordered a new alternator, do you guys think its wise to change water pump and fan belt as well when i am already there ?

Delmer

That water pump is probably cheap, otherwise I wouldn't change the water pump. Yes, change the belt. If you do change the water pump, then try to check it for leaks before you put it all back together.

Hollyrock

Connections on the main electrical plug can be loose or not making a good connection. Clean them up use a very small amount of copper anti seize on them. Or did a new alternator fix the problem?

heymccall

There are several trailer plug connections at the rear of the cab, passenger side, that are nothing but bullet connectors in molded bodies. They corrode and/ or lose tension. I've given up on them and replaced them with AMP weather sealed connections, like on a Caterpillar. Also, the nearby fuse holders also rot/ lose tension. I've replaced those also. Had to do that on all 4 1845c machines here. #1 symptom is when starting...takes several attempts to get the starter to engage.