• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845c Planetary Gear size

C12v

Hi guys. i recently bought a case 1845C brown cab with the planetary gears for the wheel motors. The right side carrier had lack of oil it looks darker than the other side, and the bearings in the 3 gears of the carrier are shot. Well i happened to pick up a new planetary carrier. The numbers are the same on both, (PLANETARY GEAR C14-02-159-905) the one i purchased and the original one from the machine. But the problem i am having is the gear inside that comes off the drive motor, it is smaller diameter so it does not fully engage all 3 carrier gears on the new carrier. the new carrier fits in the housing perfectly. I can't find any documentation on if they used a larger sized drive gear Colemans equipment only has 1 gear for the planetary's. Any help will be appreciated!
Capture.PNG s-l500.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Have you counted the number of teeth on the original one and compared to the replacement, same for the gears in the planetary?

I would say those numbers are just casting numbers as they don't look like Case part numbers. So it is possible that the same casting is used for two or more applications with the pin holes bored on slightly different centers.

I'd be checking the gear tooth counts very close as any difference would cause one side reduction ratio to be different from the other.

Did the sun gear come with the "new" planetary?

One more question, have you tried the "new" planetary in the original ring gear?

I know lots of questions with no answers, but not being there in person makes it very difficult to have any simple answers.

C12v

What i have found is the old planetary gears have 19 teeth. This new planetary has 18 teeth.

Also from what i gathered is the written white pen on the side says N73 i searched around and found that it could be the swing device on a John Deere 160LC 200LC Excavator

So with this information. I am hoping to take it apart and use the needle bearings in the old planetary, or maybe find the gear that goes in the center!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
What i have found is the old planetary gears have 19 teeth. This new planetary has 18 teeth.

Also from what i gathered is the written white pen on the side says N73 i searched around and found that it could be the swing device on a John Deere 160LC 200LC Excavator

So with this information. I am hoping to take it apart and use the needle bearings in the old planetary, or maybe find the gear that goes in the center!
Have you contacted the place you got the new assembly from? If you do take it apart there is no way anyone is going to be able to give you your money back. It could be something as simple as someone grabbed the wrong part of the shelf and sent it to you.

I would not suggest trying to replace the gear with a different size from a different application as it would at the least change the drive speed and make operating it a chore or cause other damage.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I wouldn't switch the needle bearings.... there are so many unknowns and since your last ones failed their race is probably part of the issue...