• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ewayne_R

I have a 95 1845c with originally weak drive motors on one side. The guy I bought it from had a machine that had bad drive motors and he swapped the motors fixing his and now the machine I have is weak. Sold it because it had been in a fire and needed alot hoses and stuff etc. So with that in mind the symptoms are strong right side motor. Weak left side. The linkage looks to be fine for both sides but my spool valves are leaking. I have replaced both drive motors and the symptoms improves albeit it is still noticeably weaker on the right side, when i replaced the motors no debris was noticed in oil, I kept a clean work enviroment and drained the tank and replaced fluid and filter. The machine is useable if you throttle it up. I know everyone screams tandem pump is bad, my question is, are they any other issues from the pump like the spool valve that can affect pressure. Ive read there is a screen that can get plugged but cant find any diagrams. The next step for me is to switch hoses to the other side and see if it follows. Any advice?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Congratulations on your first post!
That's a brave purchase!
Swapping drive motors that are suspect of having problems - without opening them to inspect for damage & fitting them to another machine / set of pumps is not the best way to solve a hydrostatic issue.
You maybe installing a damaged motor into a perfectly working set of pumps & then ruining them also......
In saying that, depending on what motor you have - as the 1845C used a few different types over the years - the Danfoss motors do have an issue that can cause internal leakage without having major damage on metal components.
There is an oring & some also use a back up, on a manifold/valve in the base that blows out - causing leakage & loss of power.
Hopefully, this is the type of drive motor you have & your lucky stars are shining!

1845c drivemotor.png 1840 1845C drive motor.jpg

Ewayne_R

Congratulations on your first post!
That's a brave purchase!
Swapping drive motors that are suspect of having problems - without opening them to inspect for damage & fitting them to another machine / set of pumps is not the best way to solve a hydrostatic issue.
You maybe installing a damaged motor into a perfectly working set of pumps & then ruining them also......
In saying that, depending on what motor you have - as the 1845C used a few different types over the years - the Danfoss motors do have an issue that can cause internal leakage without having major damage on metal components.
There is an oring & some also use a back up, on a manifold/valve in the base that blows out - causing leakage & loss of power.
Hopefully, this is the type of drive motor you have & your lucky stars are shining!

View attachment 259709 View attachment 259717

Thanks. well the machine was purchased for a good price so im not to worried about that. I know the drive motors were bad because the machine they come from had the symptoms that transferred to my machine. My drives were sent to a hydraulic shop and they said there was no rebuilding them as they had to much case drain. So with taking his story at face value we installed new drive motors and no dice. Its entirely plausible the new pump has an issue tho, without a way to pressure test I guess im just gonna try to swap hoses. I guess what im trying to find out is there anything like you posted but with the tandem pump. Some one mentioned there was a screen in there that can become obstructed. It has power when you throttle it up. Thanks for the reply

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
..... the hydraulic shop stripped & inspected the old drive motors? Yes? or No?
Was the case drain tested by you? or did they do it on the machine or on a test bench?

NEW drive motors fitted? - Were they brand new from CNH?

They didn't recommend you have the pumps looked at while it was pulled down?
We really need a bit more information here.

There is an orifice port near each servo on the pumps that can get blocked - but in all the years I've worked on these, that scenario has never fixed a weak drive.
There lots of info here on the forum do a search on Google "1845C hydrostatic drive problem"

Here's some to start you off - the first 1840 (same pumps) thread includes a download from the manual that explains how to clear the orifice issue & well photographed worn pump components.
** TIP - without test gauges & fittings diagnosing these is a non event.......

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/case-1840-hydrostatic-drive-issue-please-help.74739/
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-side-unless-lowering-bucket-then-goes.23825/
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/94-case-1845c-drive-problems-please-help.18285/

WilsonTrails

Working on a case 1845c with the Danfoss drive units. Left side isn't as quick as the right and it groans intermittently as the power reduces. Trying to get a good path forward before assuming too much. JAF0224281 is the Vin and it has 1500 hours or so. Used lightly around the masonry yard. I will be buying a cheap gauge and adapter kit to see if I can investigate properly with the links and info provided. Any tips are appreciated! Sorry to thread hijack but it seemed relevant.

Attachments

• upload_2023-1-9_19-52-3.png
    upload_2023-1-9_19-52-3.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 12