• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450B Dozer

CIWS14

Hi all, I have recently acquired a CASE 450B with about 3000 hours on her. I needed something around the farm to level off the piles I make while cleaning ditches. She runs great and the undercarriage is in real good shape. I am in the process of getting an operators manual for it for maintenance and for other obvious reasons. The oil changes seem pretty straight forward and easy to access, but I am assuming besides the zerks on the plow workings, this thing must have a million other ones hidden. Anyway, when I purchased the unit, the guy I bought it from seem to steer it with the individual track hi/ low levers. Is this the correct way? I bled the brakes and they seem to work fine, but do you use them to steer and make adjustments when plowing? It just seemed like a lot of wear and tear on a transmission to shift one side from hi-low to get it in the direction you want it to go. Any info from all you OE's would be appreciated....:notworthy

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually, I believe that's the proper method with that machine. When you pedal steer, you have one track disconnected from drive and the other is doing all the pushing of material and turning machine. When you steer by selecting hi on one track and lo on the other, both tracks are still digging, just one slower/faster than the other, pushing material and effectively steering the machine.

CMSMOKE

There are grease fittings under the floor boards. 2 for u-joints, 2 on brake pedals, 2 on brake actuators and possibly 1 on the e-brake cable. Steer with the sticks, unless you have to make a very sharp turn. Case made these machines to keep power to both tracks when pushing around a turn. This also saves wear on the tracks. Those transmissions will take a hard pounding. This machine will serve you well. Remember to check the quality of the anti-freeze. The engine has wet liners and they will cavitate the block if the additives in the anti-freeze aren't replenished or the anti-freeze changed at a regular interval.

51kw

If I remember right the brakes use atf not brake fluid. Otherwise as said it is a good machine.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
That is the correct way to keep power to both tracks. Those transmissions are rock solid very few problems. The brakes on your machine may or may not have a declutch function. That is if you press very lightly on either brake it will declutch that side. You can make a very slow turn when you don't need to be running flat out. So one track is basically in neutral and one is driving. If you press the brake right down you declutch and stop/brake that track and the other side powers you through the turn.

Dozerbill63

Hi CIWS14 , Dozerbill here , i just bought a 450B Case Dozer , i have a two straight 450's , a 1968 450 Crawler Loader and a 1970 450 Crawler Dozer , the B is a 1982 . My 450B is missing the Transmission stick , it is under the seat , you see the breather , pull that up and you measure your transmission oil fluid . May i ask you the length of the stick , and the length of the mark at the bottom of the stick that say transmission is full. With measurements i can add the stick to the Breather . You steer all 450's with the levers , the foot brakes are for quick short turns only , like grading around trees , houses , fence post , areas you don't want to disdurb. The foot brakes will wear out very fast. I have been operating 450's since 1967. Hope you can help me with measuremet on Transmission Dip Stick !