• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 480ck with model 26 backhoe hydraulics

Abseim

I recently picked up a 1968 case 480ck backhoe to do work on my 11 acres in the mountains...

It reluctantly sputtered onto the trailer and then back into my woods with a rag stuffed into the carb choking the hell out of it, and every single fluid is full of water.

This is my first heavy machine, haven't owned any equipment bigger than a garden tractor or that didn't have a small gas engine.

I bought all the Case manuals, Rebuilt the carb, replaced choke cable, changed oil twice, new battery and cables, patched exhaust manifold that was blowing soot right at gas tank, readjusted throttle, clutch and brake linkages, etc, it starts right up now and is ready to do some work!

Now I need to repack all the cylinders because 3 are leaking badly and 3 more are oozing. Watched a dozen videos about it and I feel comfortable taking that on when my seal kit arrives.

However, where I'm totally lost is the hoses.

I have the page in the case part manual that references every hose with fitting and length, but its all case part numbers and I can't figure out which hoses to order from an online supplier.

Is there a way to figure out how to compare or convert the Case hose and fittings types to standard trade names for the hoses and fittings?

Attachments

• 3566F7D7-4C4D-4CEC-97C7-F2AA69EB0959.jpeg
    3566F7D7-4C4D-4CEC-97C7-F2AA69EB0959.jpeg
    959.6 KB · Views: 6

Tinkerer

Is there a way to figure out how to compare or convert the Case hose and fittings types to standard trade names for the hoses and fittings?
None that I know of. It would be nice if there was.
The best way is to take the old one(s) off and take them where a duplicate can be made.
Be sure to tell whoever is making them what they are being used for.
Hoses are available in different pressure ratings.
Suction hoses are also not all the same.

joe--h

You might try discounthydraulichose.com, they might have that info and can make your hoses.

Or take them off, measure and have them make them. They are as their name says, cheap, although if you need a whole hoe's worth it will add up.

If you go that route there are tricks to measuring & getting them right.

Joe H

Abseim

Thanks! I know I can take the hoses off and take them to a shop, but I'm usually up at my mountain property on the weekends, and the nearest hydraulic shop is 45 minutes away and only open weekdays, so I was hoping to just be able to order online where I can shop around for the best price.

It's really frustrating because all sorts of other parts for this tractor have a dozen interchangeable part numbers from other manufacturers, but when I do a search for case hoses or fittings I only get links to the part manuals or forum posts asking similar questions.

Many of the hoses are really old with most of the rubber jacket cracked away, and I wish I could at least find specs for the Case hoses so I know I'm getting a comparable replacement.

This is my first time doing anything with hydraulics and it definitely a bit of a learning curve. I'm a jack of all trades general contractor and am used to picking up new skills, but damn hydraulics are confusing, haha.

Attachments

• 02C9A642-42D0-4353-A313-6B805C0601B0.jpeg
    02C9A642-42D0-4353-A313-6B805C0601B0.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • B98FEB91-E9AC-48F0-AE42-722F0AEB325D.jpeg
    B98FEB91-E9AC-48F0-AE42-722F0AEB325D.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 10

Abseim

I just found this little section from a 580ck manual... Surely there is something like this for all the case fitting and hose part numbers.

3E5A8516-3965-4FDB-B850-6CA097287AB4.jpeg

joe--h

Again, try discount hydraulic. A 50 year old hoe has been made before, they may know what you need. If not you're going to have to take them off and measure them and have them made.

Chances of getting that done on a weekend are slim.

Joe H

Abseim

I found a good hydraulic fitting identification guide by Eaton and I have a decent digital caliper and a thread gauge, I'm going to spend some time today learning to identify the various fittings on my machine.

I'm just really frustrated that I can't find any info when I search the Case hose and fittings numbers. Why don't they provide a description line like they do on every other page of their parts manual? The length is helpful, but I wish I knew the diameter, pressure rating, fitting type and size, etc.

It's clear my machine has been through the wringer, about half the hoses have been replaced, but all at different times, some with a string of adapters and hardware store NPT fittings, I can almost hear the cursing that took place when whatever hose was keeping the previous owner from getting his work done. Many of the metal hoses are bent, the 4 hose manifold in the swing tower is just hanging mangled and bypassed by a hose.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm at that point in the learning process where I'm wondering what I got myself into and it all feels hopeless and I'm overwhelmed by the quantity of fitting and hose types, and I'm worried my $3,500 backhoe is about to turn into a $10k backhoe, haha.

I suppose that's half the fun though right? What better way to learn about hydraulics than trying to fix a clapped out 1960's backhoe?

Attachments

• fitting ID.pdf
    880.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

edgephoto

A good hose shop should be able to help identify what type of fittings your machine takes. There are many types but the manufacturer uses one. I am far from an expert on heavy equipment but I can't imagine a manufacturer using more than one type of fitting. Being your machine is old I would bet you don't have metric fittings, so that rules out some stuff.

When I bought my beat up old CAT many of the hard metal lines were bent, damaged, brazed or missing. I replaced the metal lines with new ones and replaced all the hoses. I had no idea what type of fittings they were. I took the old hoses to the hose shop and showed him the ends I needed and how long they needed to be and he made them for me.

Thanks for that guide. It will come in handy. My buddy has an old 60s loader. Case 430? I forgot exactly which model.