• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 550H Water Pump

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
I need to replace a water pump on my 2002 Case 550H. Anyone know how difficult this actually is? New to dozer repair but have worked on other equipment on the farm for a long time. Wasn't sure about timing chain and just how much tear down I was in for. It still runs and I can load it if need be but its in a good location to work on if I can replace it in the field. Thoughts ??????

Thanks in advance!!!

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I think the water pump on your 550H is just a 2 bolt pump and doesn’t require any timing, just fan belt removal. Might check a site like Colemans Equipment for the parts break down but should be fairly easy. I would buy the pump from Case, I’ve had bad luck with aftermarket Case/ Cummins engine parts lately.

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
Thank you!! From looking at it that was my initial thought but didn't want to break it down in the field if it was going to be extensive. Again, new to dozer repair and probably won't be my last question. Have already had to break the tracks and replace some track tensioner seals but so far nothing too bad and hope it stays that way.

Thanks again for the advice.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I hope it works out for you. I’ve never replaced one on a dozer but I remember when I looked at buying a 550H thinking it had the same engine as my skid steer and they seem like just a smaller version or the 6BT (Hopefully if I’m wrong on this someone will chime in). Not sure if you have looked but Case CE and Colemans both have excellent parts break downs.
Breaking the tracks can be a bear. My front idler went out last August when it was 110*. Not the best learning weather.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
JS300 is correct about the water pump on the 550H just two bolts. It's an easy replace, no pulling fan or radiator, just drain coolant, remove fan belt, may want to remove alt. for a little easier access but I've done it without doing so. The prt# number for water pump is J286278R is the reman number. It should come with pulley and o-ring for installation. Just checked ebay.com and they have them for $30.00 usd and up.

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
JS300 is correct about the water pump on the 550H just two bolts. It's an easy replace, no pulling fan or radiator, just drain coolant, remove fan belt, may want to remove alt. for a little easier access but I've done it without doing so. The prt# number for water pump is J286278R is the reman number. It should come with pulley and o-ring for installation. Just checked ebay.com and they have them for $30.00 usd and up.
Thanks!! I was able to reach both bolts and get them loosened after I removed the belt. With an extra set of hands I was able to get the belt off without too much trouble. Getting back on may be a different story though. :) Anyway, I have a Case store here and will have the part tomorrow. Will put it on this weekend and hopefully be back up and running. I haven't drained all of the coolant yet but is that something that definitely needs to be done? I'm not sure how much was lost as the pump was failing. The price is quite a bit higher at the Case place than what I found online. Not sure why but a few dollars on a $100 part is not going to bother me too bad. Thanks for the post!!

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
Forgot to give an update. Thanks again for all of the help. Easily replaced the water pump only to find that after careful examination I was losing coolant from the radiator. So I had to pull that out and luckily was able to repair it and reverse the cores to extend the life. Put it all back together and running smoothly again. Thanks!!

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Sounds good glad you got it fixed. Was the radiator plugged, rusted, or did something poke a hole in it?

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
Sounds good glad you got it fixed. Was the radiator plugged, rusted, or did something poke a hole in it?
Basically sand blasting put some holes in the bottom where dirt and sand were pulled through over the years. Was able to get them fixed for a very reasonable cost plus get the cores reversed.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I was wondering if it was at the bottom. The radiator on our 850g is starting to look bad at the bottom. I think it pulls a bunch of dirt through the bottom then moisture collects and rust it out.

dilbertdozer

Occupation
Trying to make a living
Yes at the bottom but there was not any rust. The repair guy brazed a bead along the bottom to keep some of the dirt and sand from blasting the bottom line. I also took this opportunity to clean all the dirt out of the belly pan (at least what I could reach).