• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super M Stabilizer arm leaking down

Upstate Dave

Case 580 Super M Stabilizer arm leaking down

I overhauled the stabilizer hydraulic cylinders due to it leaking around the seals and vary slow leak-down while parked (like over a month of sitting)

Since then one of the stabilizer leaks down. With the machine pushed up or just letting the machine parked.
It's getting progressively worse, as in now leaks down in a few minutes.

The other stabilizer cylinder and it's fine - Can hold the machine up and will stay up when parked.

From reading a lot of posts - seems like the O-rings and seals in stabilizer control valve section are shot.

I purchased them from Monroe tractor (Case Construction Dealer) and I am ready to install them.

Wondering if this can be done on the machine (i.e. leaving the control block in place)
I was only planning on doing the section that is leaking down.

And if there is anything not straight forward about this job.

Attached pictures from the service manual

Also want to say thank you everyone who posts and answers - huge help all around.

Attachments

• Backhoe Controls Stabilizer Section - Parts.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Backhoe Controls Stabilizer Section - Cross Section.pdf
    103.9 KB · Views: 5

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I'm not a mechanic and I've done a doz. or so relief valves on different case backhoes as well as a 580 SM and never removed the block always did it on the machine.

Tinkerer

Remove the known good cylinder from the opposite side and mount on the side that is leaking down.
Then you will know if it is in fact the control valve that is defective.
It would be a horrible waste of time and money if the cylinder you worked on had the piston seals damaged when it was reassembled.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Dave check the rod for a bend ,a few thou doesn't effect it. Having the rod polished ( stuck in a lathe ) to smooth out any protrusions caused by rocks . You could most likely do it by hand with some emery cloth.