• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B C/K new to me and some questions

vtfireman85

picked up a Case 580B C/K today, wasn't really looking for one but it came up. the guy who owned it claims to have used it for an hour or 2 and when It started puking fluid from a boom cylinder he parked it. when I got there it was a circus but it finally got running, and I could hear the pump cavitating (sp?) it wouldn't lift so much as a stabilizer, but it did bubble water out of the seal. anyway, long story short, I made an offer that, at least at the time the old man thought was too much, but the guy reluctantly took. we returned with the dump truck and another machine, in case I was wrong, and with a bucket of hydraulic oil and I picked it all up and drove it onto the trailer, it doesn't appear to be all broken to pieces it doesn't seem to be real loose, it runs nicely, its not seen a grease gun in a long time but I don't think it has seen much use either. I ordered filters, and some best there is locally hydraulic fluid for flushing purposes, and haven't had courage to do anything with it until I drain whatever chunder might be in various reservoirs out and replace it with something more viscous, and replace what might possibly be left of the filters. in any event, im sure there are many things to address, but apart from freeing up stuck linkages, replacing the cutting edge on the front bucket, and addressing whatever the back bucket needs what is currently bothering me is that at high engine RPM it has one heck of a vibration, such that it makes your rear go numb and the whole machine goes harmonic. as I really haven't had much opportunity to look it over and it doesn't look good for tomorrow or the rest of the weekend itl have to sit. I have ordered manuals ( ouch) on fathers 580K it sticks in my mind that there is a short drive shaft between the torque converter and the transmission, I wondered about the possibility of issues with that creating the vibration, the engine seems to run smoothly and has a lot of oil pressure, it reads 80 lbs, I don't quite trust the gauge but it does move back when shut off ill be replacing that. anyway, any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
thanks
SethIMG_0550.JPGIMG_0551.JPGIMG_0552.JPGIMG_0553.JPGIMG_0550.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0552.JPG

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @vtfireman85
Nice Pics!
Unfortunately, you won't find a driveshaft on a 580B, they use an agricultural style chassis, where you split the tractor to make transmission repairs.
The vibration would be a worry if it is related to the engine operation only.
You would need to take a good look around the flywheel bell housing area & drain the engine oil to check for any metal trinkets.......

vtfireman85

Welcome to HEF @vtfireman85
Nice Pics!
Unfortunately, you won't find a driveshaft on a 580B, they use an agricultural style chassis, where you split the tractor to make transmission repairs.
The vibration would be a worry if it is related to the engine operation only.
You would need to take a good look around the flywheel bell housing area & drain the engine oil to check for any metal trinkets.......

Maybe... Dead cylinder? Hydraulic pump coupler? Engine mount?

I will of course be draining oil with a keen eye for any jewelry making materials, however the engine seems to run very smoothly it isn't until it gets throttled up that it starts vibrating, this said, after looking up the pump coupler I am suspicious as I have already been warned they were a common failure and should be replaced. doesn't look real costly either. I can see easily how those rubber mounts would deteriorate quickly with pump or engine leakage. I would assume this would cause a heck of a vibration akin to a bad universal joint in a drive shaft or drive shaft it self bent.
this thing doesn't seem to be all that drooly I won't go so far as to say it is clean and dry, but given that it doesn't appear to have seen a grease gun in decades I will say that it probably hasn't seen a pressure washer either and its honestly not all that caked up with grease and leaking oil. though it is bound to sprout a few leaks once it starts getting used.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Welcome to HEF also, that's not a bad looking old hoe. The serial number plate that you showed where is it located? The vibration that you described is probably the hyd. pump drive coupler as was stated earlier, I would check your trans cooler lines running along the top of engine on left side for missing clamps also. Those metal lines can make a heck of a noise if the clamps are gone.

vtfireman85

Welcome to HEF also, that's not a bad looking old hoe. The serial number plate that you showed where is it located? The vibration that you described is probably the hyd. pump drive coupler as was stated earlier, I would check your trans cooler lines running along the top of engine on left side for missing clamps also. Those metal lines can make a heck of a noise if the clamps are gone.
Serial plate is located on operators left loader frame, on the HYD tank. The numbers don’t seem to correspond to any information I can find for serial numbers for the machine. All the tractor data serial numbers start with an 8 this is clearly a 5. Perhaps it is the loader serial number? Maybe not even a case number? I have 0 information about its history. I left it parked with the hoe in transport position (not locked) and the loader up at a comfortable driving height last night and this morning it was where I left it, so that was a pleasant surprise.
On another note, case online parts website only shows me some of the tractor in parts pages. For instance I can view engine, front and rear axle, brakes , stuff like that, but no hydraulics, no loader or hoe, and the attachments section doesn’t discuss them either, I don’t know if I am doing something wrong. I tried entering as 580b, 580B C/K, and 580b backhoe, probably some other variations but had no luck.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
On another note, case online parts website only shows me some of the tractor in parts pages. For instance I can view engine, front and rear axle, brakes , stuff like that, but no hydraulics, no loader or hoe, and the attachments section doesn’t discuss them either, I don’t know if I am doing something wrong. I tried entering as 580b, 580B C/K, and 580b backhoe, probably some other variations but had no luck.

Yes, it's always been a point of confusion.
The hoe should be a 35 model, so you need to search for 35 then on the second page you will see (35) LOADER AND BACKHOE FOR 580CK SERIES B (1/73-12/83) ;)

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The actual serial number for the tractor is on the right side of steering column just below the steering wheel. If tag is missing look close to radiator on left side should be stamped there. You have to remember the loader and backhoe are attachments and not actually a part of tractor.