• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B CK

Paul Walker

Hi all,

I'm a brand new member so I'm not sure if this has been covered already or not (please point me in the general direction if it has), but I have just bought a Case 580B CK (model 35) which is in okay running order, but I am looking to sort a few issues if possible.

Electrics/Wiring...I have all but ripped out the old broken/cracked wiring loom(s) and will redo from scratch. I should mention it has a new starter and battery, which fires up instantly in our warm North Queensland Climate., but being in Australia I wouldn't mind finding somewhere local(ish) I could buy replacement gauges, etc close to originals or equivalent if anyone has any suggestions? I am definitely not a professional in auto electrics or mechanical, so I'll be learning a few things along the way here...although I have an okay knowledge of the basics.

My main concern though is the fact that reverse on the shuttle shift is really strong, but forward is less so. It "jumps" out of gear when pushing hard in first gear and won't allow me to take off at all in 4th gear. (I haven't tried reverse in anything other than 1st). Even on flat but uneven ground it struggled to move forward after I had my first play with the backhoe.

Any suggestions and advise would be greatly appreciated. I am keen to get stuck into this myself if possible and do my own repairs, but my knowledge base on this type of machine is not so vast.

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Paul !
Click on this link and download the manuals for you 580B. -----↓
https://www.minnpar.com/manuals4.aspx?FName=CASE (CNH) MANUALS&SFName=CNH (CASE) LOADER
BACKHOE MANUALS&SSFName=BACKHOE (CASE) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS

If you have an eBay account you can buy a complete set of gauges here. ---↓ This is one of the offers.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264828753946?hash=item3da906181a:g:pYEAAOSwa7FfNU6Z

Most Case T/L/B's need to be started in a lower gear before shifting to 4th.
There can be a couple of reasons why it jumps out of gear under a load.
A problem with the shift linkage that prevents the gear from being fully engaged.
A worn detent on the shift rail in the transmission.
An extremely worn gear can cause the problem.

Last edited:

Paul Walker

Thanks Tinkerer.

I've downloaded that service manual, that's a very nice treat to have it on their website for free!
I'll research those things you suggested above. And having a look at the eBay link those gauges look good. I was thinking about putting a voltmeter in lieu of an ammeter, but if it's part of the kit then I won't change it.

So can I ask then when changing gears, it's okay to change up through gears once in motion? (How do you do this, as the clutch pedal also seems to engage the brakes?) I was advised that you should just choose the appropriate gear from a standing position...is this still preferred for gears 1-3?

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I seldom ever use 1st gear, work and do almost every thing in sec. 3rd and 4 forth when I'm roading the machine. You can shift from 3rd to forth when moving that machine.It will have little power in 4th .

Paul Walker

I seldom ever use 1st gear, work and do almost every thing in sec. 3rd and 4 forth when I'm roading the machine. You can shift from 3rd to forth when moving that machine.It will have little power in 4th .
Thanks Billrog.
I'll have to see if the gear stays in whilst using second or jumps out the same as first.

Tinkerer

Once you are in motion ,with a little practice you shift gears up or down without using the clutch.
You can install/ or have both an ammeter and a volt-meter if you want.
I never have operated a 580 with a clutch.
That being said there has to be a sweet spot in the clutch pedal travel where it is released and has not yet started to apply the brakes.
I did have a snap ring dislodge from the groove in the transmission mainshaft and it caused the transmission to jump out of any gear that was being used when a heavy load was put on it.

Reactions: DB2

Paul Walker

Once you are in motion ,with a little practice you shift gears up or down without using the clutch.
You can install/ or have both an ammeter and a volt-meter if you want.
I never have operated a 580 with a clutch.
That being said there has to be a sweet spot in the clutch pedal travel where it is released and has not yet started to apply the brakes.
I did have a snap ring dislodge from the groove in the transmission mainshaft and it caused the transmission to jump out of any gear that was being used when a heavy load was put on it.
Okay, sounds like a little practice and I'll get the hang of it.
Did you have to break the tractor in half to get to that shaft? (That's going to steepen my learning curve a fair bit if it's the Case! {Pun intended})
I'll start fault finding with easiest options first then work up from there I think .

Reactions: DB2

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I had an old 580 that would jump out of first so I would hold my foot against it when necessary to use first. I remember something about pulling the top off the tran trying to fix it when I was told there was an indent ,ball bearing or something in there( to hold it in gear) but can't remember if I was able to fix it or not.

Tinkerer

I think the detents on the shift rails and the balls that go in them only contribute a small amount for holding gears in place.
Paul, I would venture to say you have extremely worn synchronizers causing your jumping out of gear problem.
Do the gears grind against each other when the tractor is moving and you are trying to shift ?
You may have more than one problem contributing to it jumping out of gear.

Paul Walker

I think the detents on the shift rails and the balls that go in them only contribute a small amount for holding gears in place.
Paul, I would venture to say you have extremely worn synchronizers causing your jumping out of gear problem.
Do the gears grind against each other when the tractor is moving and you are trying to shift ?
You may have more than one problem contributing to it jumping out of gear.
Hey guys, happy new year.
Thanks for the replies...I have been replacing some hydraulic seals and hooking up an alternator so I've not yet had chance to really use the machine at all. But it appears from what I have seen that the gear stick doesn't jump out of position, it stays in, but the gear seems to kind of drop out and then suddenly there is no more push. (I'm not sure if that's making much sense to you all?)
I'll have to play with it a bit more, but I think once you drop the revs down and either move shuttle to neutral and back to forward or move the gear stick out and in again, she's pushing once more, but then it all repeats.
I'll have a better understanding once I've done my hydraulic oil infusion and start using her properly.